Thursday, January 27, 2011

A New Landmark in Denmark: A New Power-Plant will Double as a Ski Slope

While surfing the Net I came across this interesting spectacle about to be created in near Copenhagen, Denmark.  It sounds like a great idea, although I am sure it would never come to fruition here in the United States due to liability problems. 

It seems that a new Power-Heat plant, being built to replace older furnaces, will incorporate an artificial ski slope in the design of the generators.  This artificial ski slope will allow, obviously, downhill skiing and other winter fun.  But plans also call for the slope to be used all year as a recreation area.  Denmark, being a relatively flat country, will now have a highly visible geographical feature.  It is certainly a refreshing idea that a large facility like this could be enjoyed by the general public, and that the "ugly" industrial installations could be concealed under this artificial landscape.  I applaud BIG - Bjarke Ingels Group, the construction firm awarded this contract, for their original concept.

One of the great things, for me, of doing this blog is seeing the location of the readers.  Several people have logged on from points outside the United States of America.  Seeing a list of these other nations served as a prompt to urge me to learn a little more about these areas.  Denmark, for instance, for me was more or less a location on the map.  As a fairly un-well to do person I never thought that I would travel to Denmark, among the many other places I probably will not see in my lifetime.  Nevertheless, it is very entertaining and educational to read about these places and view the various photographs and videos available.  I certainly did not expect to come across this tidbit about the artificial ski slope.

Denmark, of course, is a fixture of European history from long ago, as well as a source of many legends passed down to us in folklore and fairytales.  There is much military and religious history in this nation.  Of course, the facts and folklore of the Vikings hold much interest for people everywhere.  I would love to visit Denmark, walk the streets of Copenhagen, as well as see sights off the beaten tourist track. 

In my list of things to do, I have always included a tour of Europe at some point, although that point seems ever further in the mists.  But I think now I would add Denmark to a list of stopping points on that tour.  Who knows?  By the time the Power-Heat Plant/Ski Slope is finished, I may be there standing at the bottom and gazing in awe, with the other tourists, at this strange and promising new landmark.  I suppose it will tower over the landscape and call to travelers, much the same way as Midland (the tall city) rises out of the prairie scrub and beckons to travelers crossing the flat lands and deserts of Texas on their way to points unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...