Thursday, September 29, 2011

Child A and Child B - A Tale of Two Children (And A Non-Helicopter Father)

This afternoon at work I got word from Child B that she was safely in Central Texas and on the way to visit with relatives there.  So the gale warnings for Houston can come down now.  I just hope Child B realizes there is still a burn ban in effect for Coryell County.  Luckily, I think the risk of fire will be cut short for Gatesville, as Child B and her cousin will be headed for Austin later on.  I am sure two or three (or several) exuberant young people will not even be noticed in the climes of our state capitol.  Grandma will also be glad to see Child B.  Neither Child A nor Child B frequent that area, so the visits are always very special.

Speaking of Child A, I happened to pass him as I was traveling back from work this evening.  As he was headed into a local eatery, I decided to join him.  Although both he and Child B both reside within a couple of miles of us, we seem to run into Child B more often than Child A.  I decided to take the opportunity to partake the evening meal with Child A.  As we sat at dinner, we talked briefly about Child B's travels, and also about Child A caring for Child B's cat during this little vacation.  We also discussed certain relatives briefly, but then moved on to more mundane topics, such as the coming collapse of America as we know it, and the very real possibility that North America might one day be a colony of China or India.  Child A is not concerned so much with who is president and that sort of thing.  Instead, he takes more of a global approach to understanding the events of our times.  That is, until supper was over and it was time for him to pursue more immediate challenges...his computer games.  So, having reached the end of our conversation and the last bites of our meal, I took Child A to his residence, where we said good bye and parted ways.

I am very proud of both Child A and Child B.  They are two very different people, yet very accomplished in their own ways, and, to paraphrase a famous singer, they are doing life "their way."  A parent can attempt to raise children exactly the same, to treat them exactly the same, but that does not really happen.  Parents are usually "better parents" after having gained some experience with the first child.  I was always afraid Child A would break, but he never did.  I think then I was somewhat less "uptight" with Child B, even though Child B was determined to give me a heart attack before I reached age twenty-nine.  But in spite of my "best efforts" both Child A and Child B grew up as polite, fun-loving, smart, articulate, daring, persistent, and so many more things.  Perhaps I would leave out some descriptor no matter how inclusive my list. But I will say that above all, both Child A and Child B have an optimistic and eager outlook on life.  And they STILL think their parents are "cool!"  Life is good!  And Child B will be back...I almost said "back with us."  What I meant was Child B will soon be back to West Texas, but she will be back in her life, as a grown up who has probably grown up a little more during her foray across Texas.

As for the non-helicopter father, he will breathe a sigh of relief when Child B arrives, but he will also be proud, as would any parent, that Child B is an independent and self-confident person who is prepared to journey solo into this world of ours, as is Child A.  Not only that, but the non-helicopter father will be a little more at ease the next time Child A, or Child B, should embark on a world tour of Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...