Sunday, October 24, 2010

Change is the Only Certainty

Change is the only certainty.

Don't you get tired of hearing it. I have heard this sentiment expressed, in one form or another, all of my life. "Yep, son, the change is the only thing that will stay the same." One of my uncle's favorite sayings was "the only thing you can be sure of is death and income taxes." Or how about "the more things change, the more they stay the same." (If you figure that one out, let me know!) I am sure that change will continue, in fact major change for me will occur in a few days. Major change for me means major change for my wife as well.

Once again I will be leaving home to take a job all the way across Texas. It was only two years ago that I left Midland to take a job here (Houston). I thought then that I was through with the desert and that the sea coast would be my home forever, or at least until the next hurricane hit the beach and wiped out the island. But one should never say "never," nor should anyone really say "always." Changes happen, many times by our choice, more often by conditions beyond our control. Also very often, the changes in one person's life will have a profound effect on others. My spouse will readjust (again) to having me out of the house. My poor children (Child A and Child B) will have to readjust to having me within an easy drive of their abodes. On the positive side, I will be able to have lunch or dinner with one or both children when it is agreeable to all.

Did I say "on the positive side?"

Most of the time change is just what it is...a different set of circumstances. Change can be good, change can be bad. Most of the time, however, change is what we make of it, our attitude towards the new or the unknown. My significant other would probably be surprised to hear me say that we should have a positive outlook for change in our lives. I DO BELIEVE that, I just sometimes don't practice it. What was that? All the time? (Silence, SO, this is MY blog!) I will admit it. There have been a few times that I have not, shall we say, embraced change in my life with open arms. There, SO, I said it!

In the following week or so, I will more than likely make my way back to the Permian Basin. Both SO and I have come to the agreement that we will accept this change and roll with the flow. Yes we will be separated again, but I know it will not be for long. SO will be back with me in just a few weeks or so...that is our hope, anyway. Regardless, we are both honing our positive attitudes (SO has more than enough POSITIVE energy for the two of us). I will miss this place, and I will especially miss my spouse, but I know it is temporary. At the same time, I will be in the same town with the children again.

Another new thing will be the job itself. I have started several new jobs with more stress than excitement and eagerness. Not this time. I believe this job is tailor-made for me, and there is great opportunity. My spouse thinks so, too. I had the best job interview I have ever participated in. The new employers are eager for me to start. The job involves a lot of day travel, but very few, if any, overnight stays. The work is something I have never really done before, but I am eager to start. Change, once again, but change - manageable. If change is inevitable, it can at least be embraced in a positive way...so, here's to the change!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...