Friday, October 15, 2010

Bound To Cover A Few More Miles

I saw the following bumper sticker on an RV the other day: Bound to Cover a Few More Miles. I saw the owners of the vehicle. It was a man in his sixties and a lady of about the same age. They were both gray and had obviously "been a few miles." They held hands and chatted happily as they walked into the LJ WallyWorld. As I stood a moment and thought about their bumper sticker, I wondered how many miles those two might have already covered. Yet they looked forward eagerly to covering "a few more miles."

I want to go a few more miles too, in my life. In fact, I am "bound to go a few more miles." Even at age (nearly) fifty there are things I still want to do, places to see, and above all, more hours to spend with my loved ones. I am a professional Texan, meaning that there are many things I love about this state and many things here I still have not seen. But I have learned over the years that there are other states beside Texas...yes, it's true! There are forty-nine other states, most of which have at least one attraction that tourists should see in their lifetimes. AND I further learned that there are actually other nations beside the United States. Actually I knew already there was Great Britain, Canada, Mexico, Spain, and France, having been a student of history. But my spouse informed me there were other places as well, such as Belize, the Bahamas, and Florida. So many things to do, so little time.

Going another few miles does not simply mean doing "touristy" things. For instance, someone asked me yesterday how I found the time to write a book. This person went on to tell me there was just no time in her life to write the book that was really already finished in her head. I understand the feeling, and I wonder how many of us (I am in this group for sure) have projects of one kind or another that we just can't seem to "get to." The things we want to accomplish, but which are just out of reach, for one reason or another, are the "few more miles" we have not gone yet. It can be very frustrating to know what one wants to do, to see, or to accomplish, and yet never seem to be able to accomplish it. As the years go by, we may yearn even more to do these things. Many of us are no longer youngsters. On top of that, to be very blunt, we simply do not know how much time we have on this earth.

So I say go ahead and go those few more miles, do those things, and make your dreams reality. Don't let it be simply a thought on a bumper sticker. Be "bound to go a few more miles." As long as you are still heading down the road, there is time. And don't worry about the things you "have" to do. These things most certainly be here waiting when you take a break from your real dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...