Wednesday, May 9, 2012

What Really Matters - Love for One of Our Own

There are all kinds of things I could write about today, big news stories, my political opinions, news from Mexico...the list goes on. Unfortunately, something more real and more important than any of these things is on my mind and my heart today.

The Class of 1979, Gatesville High School, stands together in sympathy and love for one of our own, Scott Stephens and his family.  Scott and Melody suffered the loss of their youngest son, Cody, this past Sunday.  Our sympathy is with Scott and Melody, and their children, Clay and Katie. 

The most tragic thing I can imagine for any parent is the loss of a child, at any age.  Cody Stephens was nearing the end of his high school years, and had already signed a letter of intent to play football at Tarleton State.  Cody was a star football player at Crosby High School.  His potential as a college football player was already well-known.  Cody had been featured in several football magazines and news articles during the past year. 

I must confess, even after a life-time, I am at a loss to understand the reason that children are taken from us, just in the prime of their life.  I know many preachers and many lay-people will have the usual platitudes to say, more because people don't really know what to say to those who have suffered such a great loss than because they have some great spiritual understanding.

I can only offer my deepest sympathy to Scott, Melody, Clay, and Katie.  I can only say that the Good Shepherd is at this very time carrying this family in his hands.  I know that Scott and Melody have many friends and loved-ones that will rally around them, and that Scott has his faith, as he has demonstrated over the years.  It is in some unknown way that this faith, this knowledge that the Good Shepherd holds all of us in his hand, that comfort, in some small way at first, but in floods as time goes on, will come to Scott and Melody and their children. 

So I will not offer a lot of platitudes, but only the love and the caring, the concern, and the sharing of the Class of 1979.  All of us, the members of the Class of '79, stand together with Scott and his family, and we all pray for their comfort and safety during this time of their loss. 

Scott, it is our prayer that you and your family feel the presence of Jesus, the Good Shepherd, during this time, and that you also know and feel the love and concern that we, the Class of 1979, Gatesville High School, have for you and your loved ones. 

May God bless you and your family. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...