Thursday, May 17, 2012

Goodbye To Donna Summer

One afternoon in late 1975 I had just walked into the house after a hum drum day at school. I turned on my portable 8-track player just to hear some good jam.  What I heard instead nearly made me go through puberty in less than five minutes! It was a lady singer I had never heard before singing a song that not only had I never heard before, but I was not entirely certain that it could be legally played before 11pm!  Of course you know I am talking about Donna Summer singing her scorching rendition of "Love To Love You, Baby."  And I DO mean SCORCHING! Donna Summer went on to become the undisputed Queen of Disco, remaining in that status throughout the disco era.

Donna branched out in different directions later in the 1980's, singing new wave music similar to that of Pat Benatar, as well as singing blues and ballads.  Miss Summers, always in demand in Europe, went back overseas and had much success there.  She also released various compilation albums in the United States during this time.  She never reached the heights of popularity again in the United States that she enjoyed during the Disco Era, but she remained in demand as a singer, and as an actress as well.  She appeared on Family Matters as Steve Urkle's aunt.

Donna Summer died today after losing her battle with lung cancer.  She was only 63 years old.  To me, that young man with the portable 8-track player so long ago, Donna Summer will always be that sexy Queen of Disco.  I know many people try to downplay or even deny their "participation" in the disco era, but that era was a part of our lives, and so was the sultry, sexy lady who gave us "Love To Love You, Baby," "On The Radio," "MacArthur Park," "I Feel Love," "Bad Girls," and "Last Dance," just to name a few.  Donna Summer leaves behind her husband and three daughters.  I send my prayers to her family and friends.  Goodbye, Donna, you will be missed, but your music will live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...