Saturday, May 19, 2012

Saturday In The Park - For Second Annual The Stroke Awareness Walk

I had the pleasure today of attending and assisting in the Second Annual Midland Memorial Hospital's Stroke Awareness Walk.  I was actually pleased with my performance as I made several laps around Midland's Duck Pond on Garfield and Cuthbert.  There was a good-sized crowd and of course I was lapped several times before I completed my three laps.  I was extremely pleased that I did not need the services of the firemen and emergency medical techs that were on hand, courtesy of the Midland Fire Department.

My lovely bride, Sherron, is the Stroke Program Coordinator at Midland Memorial Hospital in Midland, Texas.  She created the Stroke Walk as an activity that would bring the message of stroke awareness to the community while providing a fun, non-threatening environment in which anyone can learn about the signs of stroke or ask questions about how to prevent strokes.  Literature is available for participants, as is a never ending supply of water to break the desert heat.  Sherron and her sister, Elizabeth, put on the event, with the help of other hospital employees as well.

With Golden Oldies pouring out of a portable PA system, walkers are able to hear their favorite songs at almost any point on the walk way.  Children are welcome, and many children come each year.  Pets - okay, dogs - are welcome as well, and many dogs do bring their parents to the Stroke Walk, much to the delight of the children who brought THEIR parents to the Stroke Awareness Walk.  The Duck Ponds offer many attractions and distractions for children of all ages.  Whether feeding the ducks or chasing them endlessly, the children all had a good time at today's event.

The Stroke Awareness Walk is only in its second year but is growing all the time.  While the walk itself is enjoyable, the bigger purpose is that people are drawn to the event so that they can be exposed to stroke education material, and can ask questions of the stroke expert while fresh on their minds.  It is such a good thing to see people suddenly aware of the dangers of stroke and to realize how simple it can be to notice the signs of stroke.  Their eyes light up as they realize they have been empowered to not only recognize the sypmtoms of a stroke, but also to change their lifestyles in such a way as to prevent or greatly reduce the chance that they will suffer a stroke.  Many people leave the event smiling because they are confident that they can detect when their loved one might be suffering a stroke, and take action immediately, thus reducing the damage done by a stroke, and greatly increasing the chance that the stroke victim will make an optimum recovery.

I am in great hope that this even will increase in size next year, and that many more people will benefit from the information and services provided.  I am so proud of my spouse for setting up this event, and I would like to thank everyone who helped in this event.  I would also like to thank all of those who came to walk in the event.  Ultimately, it is my hope that this event, and the other efforts of the Stroke Awareness Program at Midland Memorial Hospital,will heighten community awareness of the dangers of stroke, but also of the many and relatively easy ways to reduce the risk factors and those reduce the chances of suffering a stroke.  My kudos to Sherron and the Midland Stroke Awareness Program.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...