Friday, September 17, 2010

Winds at Surfside

The edge of Hurricane Karl is slicing into Surfside Beach. The ocean here is angry and boiling with high surf. The surfers (either brave or stupid) are out in droves as they "catch a wave and they're sitting on top of the world." To me the waves look very dangerous, but to the trained eye, I suppose they are heavenly. Unfortunately, my evening walk along the beach has to be tabled for another day.

The windy, stormy weather and the ever changing sky may be omens of the coming turmoil in my life. I will be returning to West Texas for another job. This one will be provisional, until and unless my performance proves satisfactory. No other details released at this time. Meanwhile my spouse will remain in Surfside at her job. We don't know how long it will be until we are reunited in West Texas, but it will be at some point.

My wife is a native of the Permian Basin. She has wanted to return for some time; well, actually since she arrived here. I must say though, she has come to love the beach and waves. But in her heart she wants to return to Midland. I have seen my Precious Flower wilting for lack of the desert sun, and I know she needs to go back home. So the brief (I hope) separation will be worth it if she can return the land of horned toads and tumble weeds. And, honestly, I miss the desert myself. The dry, hard land and the beautiful blue skies of West Texas grow on a person, often making a "native" of the fleeting traveler.

This blog was created while I lived in West Texas, thus the name. But I am a citizen of this entire great nation-state that is Texas. As I return to West Texas I will blog on while I eagerly wait to be joined by my spouse, at some later time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...