Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Long Weekend

I am so ready for Labor Day. I must admit that I am not going to sit and ponder the "true meaning" of Labor Day, although I know the origin of the occasion to some degree; that it was originally a day to honor organized labor (unions). Ironically it became a national holiday for employees all over the nation, most of whom are actually ambivalent or even outright opposed to unions. I am sure most of us very rarely thank the union organizers for our "last Monday holiday of the vacation season."

Enough background! I am leaving the Third Coast and going to Central Texas for the long weekend. Lots of barbequed ribs, deviled eggs, and of course, banana pudding. Practically the whole family, or really a mix of three or four families, will be together for three long, wonderful days. This type of scene of course will be played out all over the United States. Most families have at least one weirdo that makes any get-together interesting. Unfortunately the Meeks-Franks-Perryman-Snoddy-Henry (forgive me if I left anyone out)family has more than its share. And Labor Day is sure to bring out the best in all of us.

To add even more gasoline to the mixture, the daughter is bringing her soon-to-be (?) fiancee to the festivities. We are all anxious to meet him. And out of fairness to him, we want him to meet all the weirdos early on, so that he can make an educated decision, and also (I am sort of kidding about this) (maybe) so that he may pull up stakes and run when he meets Lurch, Uncle Fester, Thing #1 and Thing #2, and of course, Uncle Rod (the one we worry about the most).

All kidding aside, each holiday gives us an opportunity to reunite with our families, and that is really what I am waiting for. Relatives from all over Texas will arrive, and we will also see our loved ones who still reside in the old home town. Lots of love, laughter, and yes, a little bit of weirdoisms...all of this makes up the joy of the holiday.

So I hope each one of you will have your own visits to make, your own family reunions, maybe even at your house, if your are the "family anchor." The glad reunions, the food, and all the fun, maybe that is the "true meaning" of Labor Day after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...