Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hermine, Fall, and Football

Some'r Surfin' is still in one piece as the edge of Hermine touched this end of the Third Coast. Even though Hermine was "just" a tropical storm, the waves and the weather were spectacular. Between our humble abode and San Luis Pass, it appears that three to five feet of sand have been added to the beaches. Additionally, many of the deck stairways at ground level were covered as well. The waves have calmed very much since yesterday, but are still occasionally breaking over the rocks and onto Beach Drive. I believe by tomorrow morning we will be able to safely walk on the beach again.

I love the summer, but the downside is, with tourist season, I must surrender "my" beach to those who are not "native" to the island. Now that Labor Day is passed, the beach is pretty much abandoned to the locals. I and my lovely spouse are able once more to take our walks in relative peace without stumbling over oiled bodies in the sand. And the competition for the "good" seashells is so much less fiercer than only two or three days ago. Possibly one downside to the lack of tourists is that the chance of shark bite must increase in proportion to the smaller numbers of persons in the water. That is just a little speculation on my part.

For me, the greatest consolation for the end of summer is that Football Season has fired up once again. I can't wait to watch all my favorite teams beat all the teams I love to hate. For fear of readership loss I will keep my list of villains to myself. Suffice to say that if I am not out walking on the beach, it is because I am glued to the tube watching NCAA Football.

Where's the popcorn? Give me the remote, Honey...No..Not the Food Network!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...