Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Vacation Interrupted - But Not For Long!

Coverage of Child B’s vacation trip was thrown two curves over the past couple of days, but (at this moment) Child B is safe in the care of relatives. The question is, are they safe with HER? I guess we will know soon enough.


The lapse in coverage was caused by trouble on two fronts: First, Child B became ill during the first weekend of her vacation; Second, Father of Child B was suddenly called away on a trip from Texas to a foreign land to assist his brother in returning to Texas. The foreign land, by the way, was Phoenix, Arizona. So while Child B recovered from her disease in the tropics of Galveston Island, I was driving as swiftly as possible, eastbound on IH 10, while Phoenix disappeared in the rear view mirror. I had not seen my “little” brother for more than a few minutes in a couple of years. Needless to say (I will anyway!) we had defined most of the illnesses of our great nation AND designed programs to “address” the same by the time we were again East of the Pecos.

This exercise in world-deliverance was interrupted at one point by a surprise call from Child B. I said my greetings into the phone and was answered by a voice that was somewhat a cross between Linda Blair’s devil voice in The Exorcist and the old…I mean “mature” lady that operates the washateria in Midland. You know this lady…she is the one reminding you that your washing machine has been stopped now for over two minutes, and “there ARE OTHER customers, you know!”

So Child B explained that she had awakened Saturday feeling severely ill. Her uncle, Fester…I mean Greg, had been kind enough to set her up in a nice hotel in Galveston with a sea view. She spent Saturday in recovery mode, fuming that a portion of her vacation had to be yielded to sick time. I think maybe due to exhaustion, but then again, I am possibly a helicopter father.

The stay at near seaside must have re-invigorated Child B, for come Sunday she was off on more adventure. She stopped by the Aquarium at Galveston, letting her love for fish and the ocean lead her where it might. Where it led her, in fact, was try on a “squid hat.” This is the culmination of many a child’s tour of the Aquarium, I am certain. Kids, whether 2 or 92, LOVE to wear squid hats!

So I am sure she had a wonderful time, having cast off her illness from Saturday, and hopefully cast off the squid hat as well! Just kidding. You can wear the squid hat if you want, my Schild. Meanwhile, the helicopter father was too busy to hover while pondering Child B’s latest antics. Unfortunately for me, my spouse spent Sunday graduating from white belt to yellow belt in Karate. I spent the rest of the day Sunday NOT making my spouse upset about anything. Just a minute…What’s that? Yes, Dear. Sorry folks, it is now the end of today’s blog. Honey dews are waiting, says Chuckette Norris!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...