Monday, October 3, 2011

The End of An Era...I Mean A Long Road Trip!

Child B is now safely in Midland. That is a very comforting thought, but it was so much better to see her live and in person rather than just reading the text. So about 8:00 PM or so Child A and Child B popped in at the same time. What a family reunion! Child B was in possession of a seashell she had liberated from the sands of Surfside Beach, but more than that, she had a collection of memories that will last her a lifetime.


This past Wednesday, Child B rode from the Houston area back to Central Texas, to the ancestral home of both parents. She spent the part of the day with her grandmother and part of the day with her uncle, the Woodsman and Naturalist. I am sure between the Woodsman and Child B, many deeper layers of thought were exposed to the light of pragmatic rumination. This is something at which both Child B and the Woodsman are quite adept. But after a short afternoon of pragmatic ruminating, Child B was treated by Uncle Number 2 (on THIS side of the family) to lunch at a local restaurant owned and operated by another cousin. My, isn’t this story full of uncles and cousins. I almost wonder if there weren’t a couple of really cold winters in the late fifties…

It turns out that while Child B, in the company of Uncle Number 2, ran into two classmates of mine, Nancy and Clark Burns, the proud owners of Sawdust and Splinters. They all happened into The Feed Mill at about the same time. The Feed Mill, of course, is the restaurant owned and operated by my cousin (yes, cousin!) Ricky Snoddy, and his wife, Tana. Of course chicken fried steak was on the menu for the meal. I will have to get down there and try one myself, being a chicken fried steak connoisseur of some renown. That is a subject for another blog. Anyway, Child B and Clark Burns were soon involved in discussing motorcycles and riding, and EXTENDED rides. Thanks, Clark!! To be fair, I am sure Child B would have come up with plans for another extended ride on her own.

Child B spent the remainder of her time with her cousins, and cousin-SO Melanie. I, not being the hovering parent, was only mildly panic…I mean, concerned, when Child B announced that she and Cousin and Cousin’s SO would make a quick trip to Austin Saturday night. I was more concerned about a) the city of Austin, and b) Child B’s physical condition AFTER the trip to Austin, as she intended to ride non-stop from Austin back to Midland. And really, I did not “hover” the entire time until Child B texted (is that a word now?) to me that she had made it through Eden. I was so happy to learn she was done with Highway 71, which can be unforgiving to tired drivers, especially those traveling on two wheels.

Then, it happened…

There was no communication with Child B for several hours. Mind you I, as the father, was not panicking at all. Not all…really…not much…outwardly, anyway…ok, MAYBE if you REALLY knew me, you could see some very minor indication of worry. But nothing out of hand, really…

I have pointed out many times that I am NOT a hovering, worrying, over-anxious father. And I believe I proved it, hands down, last night…until I realized Child B should have been home HOURS ago…

Then the phone rang! But alas, not Child B. It was Uncle Woodsman, asking if Child B was home yet. That was all I could stand… I mean, I calmly dialed Child B’s number. No, I was calmer than that. I texted (is that still a word?) Child B. She had been in the San Angelo area around 3 PM. She must have had time to reach Midland by 8 PM. Then the text! Child B was indeed at her apartment, waiting on Child A to bring her pickup to her (that is a separate story). Soon Child B AND Child A were both in our living room. What a relief to see them standing there in real life. And Child B’s road trip, the Great Road Trip of ’11, was at end!

Yes, SO and I were so happy to see Child B back in one peace, AND also to have Child A there, too! It was a great and happy ending to what must have been a great and happy adventure for Child B. AND, she produced that seashell, liberated from the sands of Surfside Beach. It felt great to hold a fresh seashell again, but so much better to get hugs from Child B.

Epilogue

I appreciate everyone who has followed these blogs, and who waited eagerly with me for news of Child B’s safe progress through her road trip. I know all of you who are parents have gone through this experience before. How much more the anxiety must be for parents of children who are in the armed forces, especially those deployed in harm’s way. That is why I thank all of you for allowing me to indulge in just a little worry…I mean, concern, while Child B was traveling. All of us parents have gone or will go through this many times. And, as I pointed out in a previous blog, OUR parents still worry about US. That is just what parents do, I suppose. But anyway, I say a big THANKS to all my Facebook friends. It is amazing how much we can support each other, even when that support is through electronic means, such as Facebook and blogs.

Thanks, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...