Monday, September 19, 2011

A Remarkable Thing About Humans

We humans have a very remarkable capacity built into our human nature by God. This remarkable trait is our ability to live life in a reasonably happy and content state even though we know that: 1) each one of us will die someday; 2) any one of us or our loved ones could die on any given day; and 3) bad or tragic things happen all the time. Yet we go on with our day-to-day lives, make plans for the future, and live like we will last forever. Don’t get me wrong, this is not a bad thing. I cannot imagine what it must be like to live every day in constant dread that I might die today, or someone I love might die today. It certainly would not be conducive to a happy and productive life to live in this state constantly.

No, most of us do not live in dread every day. But, every now and then, events happen that shake us, at least temporarily, out of our comfort zone and force us to confront the fact that tragic things happen, and that none of us will live forever. I suppose the most dramatic reminder of the frail human condition, for me at least, was the terrorists attacks of 9/11. But years earlier, an entire generation was exposed to this reality by the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. Incidentally, thousands of Japanese citizens got two very terrible surprises in 1945. But the reality is that everyday someone, somewhere, receives the shocking news of the loss or near loss of a loved one or friend. And suddenly the world stands still, at least for the person involved.

Just the other day I got a telephone call that was both terrifying and full of joy. Someone close to me had been injured in an accident at work, but the accident could have been fatal. Just a matter of inches could have brought a very tragic ending. With great joy I was happy that he had not been taken from us. I was reminded how much I love this person, and yet how often I take this person for granted. He had always been a part of my life. He would always be a part of my life. But the other day he came within inches of losing his life. He was injured badly enough, but we were so happy that he was ONLY hurt. All of you have been in similar circumstances. Someone comes within inches of tragedy. Maybe being a few minutes early or a few minutes late makes all the difference. That someone got a second chance at life, and we, his loved ones, got a second chance at not taking him for granted again.

I have often wondered why some people get second, or even several “second” chances. Is there some great deed they have not yet accomplished? Is there some great wrong in their lives that they need to make right? Or is the second chance not about them at all? Could it be a harsh reminder for us not to take our loved ones and friends for granted again? The answer to these questions may never be in my lifetime. For now, I only hope not to fall back into that rut of just assuming and hoping that those I love, those who are a part my life, whether close or long distance, or even “by computer,” will always be here. I need to let each of these people know every day, or as often as possible, that I love them all and I am so glad they are in my life. And I hope you will do the same for those you love and care about. For we never know, literally, when that special person may leave our sight, never to be seen again in this lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...