Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Road Trip

Road Trip!  But not for me.

Today I have decided to leave the world of history, politics, crime, etc. behind and blog about something a lot more important and relevant to me at the moment: A road trip.  Not my road trip, mind you, but that of my daughter, Child B.  Perhaps Child B is a bit of misnomer since she is well beyond the age of majority in Texas.  But to a parent, a child is a child no matter HOW OLD the child is.  My mother, for instance, still worries about my health, my happiness, and yes, even when I go on a road trip...and I am FIFTY!  So I am starting to believe that parents maybe never stop worrying about their children.  But, back to my story.

Child B purchased a motorcycle some years ago (the worry about Child B riding a motorcycle could fill a blog itself) and took a motorcycle safety course.  I am very happy she chose to do so; however, along with learning to ride safely, Child B also acquired the desire to...well...to ride.  She rode the little Suzuki around town at first, gradually increasing the length and distance of her rides.  Then came the day she announced she was riding the "bike" to Del Rio.  To say that I worried about Child B on this first "long trip" is not inaccurate, but you should not think that it implies that I was not ALREADY worried about her on the motorcycle.  But, I did not want to be a helicopter parent, so I bravely pretended that I was only "concerned" about her safety, not actually "worried."

As time passed, Child B became a very safe motorcycle operator (at least in my visual presence) and was not involved in traffic accidents or even the minor mishaps that befall many novice motorcyclists.  At the same time Child B's father become slightly more at ease and way more resigned to the fact that Child B was a true free spirit and motorcycle girl.  It was around this time that I somehow gained the fortitude to recognize that Child B would operate her motorcycle in as safe a manner as she was capable of doing, and that she would be on the lookout for "the other guy."  It was out of my hands. So most of the time I am not OVERLY concerned about her day to day safety.

My little shell of false security was destroyed last week when Child B announced her upcoming road trip.  But to my credit, I did not try to talk her out of doing it.  Instead, I just gave her the safety lecture.  Oh, maybe the father's lecture too, I forget.  But I remembered a time, years earlier, when a young man announced to his parents that he was taking a road trip.  Of course I drove a car, but the principle was the same.  I am sure my parents worried from the time I announced my plans to the late night arrival home that kept them on the edge of their respective seats.  I made it back safely.  And in reality, the vast majority of these kind of adventures have a happy ending.  So, Child B is now safely with loved ones in Houston.

Actually I am happy that Child B, as well as Child A, has the courage and self-confidence to embark on such an adventure.  The seacoast is beautiful any time of year, and the distant relatives are always happy to see Child B, a rare enough occurrence.  I am happy that Child B saw all the sights along the way, maybe stopping at an out of the way little store or some highway vista in the Hill Country.  The memories Child B gathers on this great solo adventure will last a lifetime.  Although her mother and I will be so happy (and relieved) when Child B returns to Midland, we are both happy that she went on this adventure.  We cannot wait for the stories she no doubt will have saved up by the time she arrives.  So, tonight Child B is in a little town outside of Houston.  Tomorrow she will again bravely set out into the world, maybe going to Surfside, maybe meeting friends in Galveston, but no doubt living another great adventure.

PS: Hello to Uncle Dwayne, Aunt Gail, and Cousin Gaylon..oh yeah, and Brother-in-law Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...