Sunday, March 20, 2016

This Is THE Day

In Psalm 118:24 David wrote, "This is the day the Lord has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it."  We sang a song by that title this morning at church service, a very happy song with a very glad message.  The service was good all the way through, as we praised the name of the Lord.  After it was over we all went out separate ways, everyone still happy in the day the Lord had made. But then, it all set in.  Tomorrow is Monday.

Tomorrow is Monday.  In just a few hours the week will "start" and we will all be "back to the grind," that is if you work a regular schedule.  Anyway, the sort of "high" or good feeling I had after church seemed to have faded into the background and the sun had not yet set on the Lord's day.  And I thought, Monday?  That is a day the Lord made?  I felt my stress level going up as I thought of the things waiting on me Monday and the following days.  Sunday was just a brief respite from "the rest of the week."

Do any of you have this same "problem," this mindset?  A couple of hours with the Lord on Sunday and then the cares, concerns, and stresses of life, of our lives, once again assert themselves.  By eight or nine o'clock on Monday morning so many things have crowded their way back into our lives and minds that the hours spent with Jesus seem so far away.  At least for me, they do.  I hope you are not in this same group.  Some people I know seem to be perpetually in a "Sunday mode" and I am happy for them.  I want to stay in that Sunday mode a little longer myself, even as Monday is beating at the door stoop.

King David had some wisdom to offer, some very "down to earth" words.  King David told us,  "This is THE Day the Lord has made.  I will rejoice and be glad in it."  Therein is the wisdom and the technique.  I must acknowledge that this...Monday...is THE day the Lord has made.  The Lord made the day, with all the good and with all the challenges.  For some, maybe even for me, there will be loss before the day is over.  We have no way of knowing what is in store for us in a given day.  But we DO know it will be a day that the Lord has made.

But, I must not only acknowledge that the Lord made this day, I should also feel the goodness of the day, and I should rejoice...rejoice that the Lord made another day, and be glad in it.  Wait...are you KIDDING?  I should be GLAD that it is MONDAY MORNING??  I don't know about you, but Monday is one day that I have a difficult time with being glad in it.  Some of the problems from the week before are waiting for me Monday morning.  Not only that, but NEW problems that developed over the weekend are waiting, in addition.  And instead of rejoicing for the new day and being glad in it, I tend to focus on that "stuff" that is waiting to spoil the day for me.

Well, I felt like the preacher was talking to me today, that Jesus had a message for me.  Yes, tomorrow is Monday, and yes, there are problems waiting for me, some new, and some hanging on from the week just past.  But I believe that Monday will be a better day for me, having gone through the Sunday I did, hearing the message I did, I believe that tomorrow I will follow King David's advise; I will acknowledge that Monday is a day the Lord has made, and I will rejoice and be glad in it.   Thanks King David, and thanks to the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...