Thursday, January 3, 2013

Spoiling the Orange Bowl

As I was sitting back with my bowl of popcorn and a fizzy non-alcoholic beverage, and taking in the beginning of the Orange Bowl, I noticed two things even before the kick-off opened the game.  First, I noticed that the underdogs, the Northern Illinois University Huskies team, were on the field and were concentrating on their pre-game workout.  I noticed that the young men were polite to their counterparts on the Florida State Seminole team; however, the Seminole players were not working out nearly as hard, and they were directing what appeared to be derisive words and looks toward the Huskies.

This impression was confirmed on the opening play of the game, when I observed members of my beloved Seminole team making unnecessary (and unnecessarily rough) contact with the Huskies.  The tackles were much harder than necessary, Huskies on the ground were "accidentally" stepped on or shoved by several of the Seminole players.  This conduct went on throughout the Orange Bowl game, marring what should have an entertaining post-season contest.

The Florida State Seminoles went on to win the Orange Bowl, scoring 31 points while limiting the Huskies to only 10.  But I have to say that when it comes to desire to play, and to an intangible quality of character that we call "heart," the victory clearly went to the Huskies of Northern Illinois University.  These young men went into this game the acknowledged underdogs.  There was little doubt after the first quarter of play that the Huskies probably would lose the game, being outplayed by the Seminoles in almost every category.  But the Huskies played ALL THE WAY through the Orange Bowl game, and were gentlemen and sportsmen throughout.

The same cannot be said for the Seminoles.  As mentioned, many of the Seminole players went out of their way to snub the Huskies, went of their way to sneak in illegal punches and kicks, and make unnecessarily rough contact.  And yes, the Seminoles, one of my favorite college football teams, went on to win the Orange Bowl.  By that I mean Florida State OUTSCORED the Huskies.  But I have to say that I lost a lot of respect for the 2012 edition of the Seminoles, and I gained a lot of respect for this underdog team from Illinois that came to Florida to play football...by the letter of the rules of football...and in the spirit of good sportsmanship.  Contrary to the score, the Huskies won the Orange Bowl, and Seminoles spoiled it by adding bullying and pettiness to what should have been one of the better bowl games of the post season.

I wish the best of luck to the Huskies of Northern Illinois, and I wish them ANOTHER bowl in 2013.  And for the Seminoles, I wish that they become the team they were in years past, WINNERS, in both the score AND in SPORTSMANSHIP.  This year however, the Seminoles bruised the Orange Bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...