Wednesday, January 23, 2013

State Trooper Survives Ambush Near Colorado City

I have taken upon myself over the past three years a sad duty, but one that I am honored to do; in fact, I believe it is a sort of ministry.  That ministry is the honoring of Texas heroes, mostly police and firefighters, who are called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice in the line of their respective duties.  On occasion, however, I have strayed from that specific mission by honoring men and women, our Texas public servants who performed heroically but did not lose their lives in the process.

Today I would like to honor one such hero, but I find that this hero is in an unusual situation...he has not been identified, at least not in any sources I have located to date.  This hero is a Texas State Trooper who stopped a speeding vehicle on Interstate 20 between Colorado City and Big Spring.  Both of these locations are West Texas metroplexes, so I understand if you may not know these locations without looking at a map...I mean, Googling them on Maps.

The trooper clocked a vehicle travelling at a rate of over one hundred miles per hour.  When the officer pursued and overtook the vehicle, the driver of the speeding SUV pulled off the highway and stopped as any otherwise lay-abiding citizen might do.  But as the trooper approached the vehicle, one or more of the occupants opened fire.  The officer was fortunately not struck by any of the bullets, and even rejoined the pursuit when the vehicle fled.  Several hours later, after a standoff in Colorado City, the two adult and one juvenile suspects were taken into custody, as were two other persons who harbored the would-be cop killers.

As I said, I have not learned the trooper's name, so I will have to honor this anonymous officer who took action to protect the drivers using Interstate 20 and almost paid for that action with his life.  He further had the presence of mind and personal fortitude to continue the pursuit while the suspects continued to fire as they fled the officer.  This trooper's actions allowed for the criminals to be pinned down and arrested in Colorado City before they had a chance to make good their escape, then possibly kill or attempt to kill other police officers as they made their way to who knows where.  As with many "brave outlaws," once they were confronted by armed officers who stood face to face with them, their braveness melted away, and as we have read so many times in newspapers, they "meekly surrendered without incident." (Pardon me, I thought a ten-hour standoff WAS an incident.  Silly me.)

By the way, this year is sort of a banner year for US law enforcement officers, as only one officer has died by felonious causes in the line of duty so far during the month of January, 2013.  By this time last year, several officers across the nation were dead at the hands of criminals.  So, I end this blog today by saying a prayer for the safety of all police officers everywhere in this nation, as well as all other public servants who work to protect us in one way or another.  God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...