Monday, October 8, 2012

The Sky Is Falling! or The Gators Defeat The Tigers

If I had seen Chicken Little yelling, "The SKY is falling! The SKY is falling!" I would not have been more surprised than I had the misfortune of being Saturday as the final second ticked away in Gainesville.  I had watched it!  I had seen it all! But I did not want to believe it.  The Louisiana State University Tigers had fallen to the Florida Gators.  The scoreboard did not lie, and it was there plain to see - Gators 14, Tigers 6.  The worst part of it, besides the lost game, was the fact that the Tigers had not even crossed the goal line.  Their score was the result of two field goals. 

Now, to be honest, I love the Gators, only slightly less than I do the Tigers.  But when they play each other, I of course am a true Geaux Tigers Fan.  It is true that the Honey Badger is gone, but the Tigers are a good team, nonetheless.  They have potential and they will play better games as the season progresses.  It is truly heartbreaking, though, to see my beloved Tigers holding on to Ninth in the AP College Football Rankings.  The Gators, on the other hand, jump from 10th place up to Number 4.  I am proud of the Gators for that, but it is a bittersweet thing, after all.  Both teams go on to better things in next week's football game line up, and I can't wait.

My other teams did not fare very well, either.  Texas Tech (GUNS UP!!!!!!!) was soundly defeated by the Sooners.  I had hoped for a better Raider performance.  West Virginia University sacked the Longhorns.  The TCU Horned Frogs were de-horned by the Cyclones of Iowa State to the tune of 37 to 23.  I love to watch the Cyclones play, and I have since Seneca Wallace lit up the grid-iron nearly a decade ago.  But when TCU and the Cyclones are on the same field, I cheer loudly for the 'Frogs.  My beloved Hurricanes were spanked hard by the Fighting Irish.  Yes, I know the 'Canes are not by any means a contender team this year, but the final score was still heartbreaking for me.

What about the Thundering Herd? The kids from Marshall lost a good one to Tulsa.  I wish Marshall could have won, but losing by only a touchdown to Tulsa says a lot for the Thundering Herd.  And the Grambling Tigers, a mostly-Black college team that I have watched since I was a teen, lost to Prairie View A & M.  Grambling football has not seen the heights the team reached in the days of its famous coach, Eddie Robinson, who had won the most college games in history until Coach Joe Pa broke his record in 2011. 

But on the positive side of the ledger, the Texas Aggies won their game, defeating Southern Mississippi 30-27 in what was one of the more exciting nail biters of the day.  Gig 'em Aggies!

Yes, most of "my" teams lost Saturday, but it was nonetheless a very exciting football afternoon.  And it just goes to show that on any given Saturday, in any given college ball game, anything can - and does - happen.  But I know I will remember this past weekend for quite a while; the weekend the Sky fell in and the Gators beat the Tigers, who did not even score a touchdown.  How long since that has happened? 

But I can't wait for next week.  Who knows, maybe the Sky will fall again!  Maybe it fall on those pesky Gators!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...