Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Goodbye To Big Tex, That Smiling Cowboy

Mixed in with all the other things going on Friday (Oct. 19th) was the stunning news that Big Tex, that famous smiling cowboy, had burned to the ground! Big Tex has greeted visitors at the Texas State Fair for more than sixty years now.  But we learned Friday that this icon was no more. As of today's blog, the cause of the fire is suspected to be within the decades old electrical control system that moved the statue's arm and head. 

I would be remiss in not saying a sad farewell to Big Tex.  He is one of the most famous modern Texas landmarks, being featured in the Texas State Travel Guide as well as many national and regional magazines each year.  I have to admit that it was an exciting experience to stand at his feet for a few moments when I attended the state fair several years ago.  It was a sad and shocking to sight to see him burn, as the strained and tearful faces of many of the bystanders who watch as Big Tex burned could attest.

But I think we can all take heart, my friends.  The organizers of the Texas State Fair are already discussing a new Big Tex, one with modern, computer-operated controls, one that is possibly even taller than our lately destroyed statue.  I believe the intention is that the new statue will be in place by State Fair 2013.  That is a tall order, but I have confidence that this goal will be met.  But in the meantime, I would like to join all those Texans (and adopted Texans as well!) who are saddened at the loss of our friend and Hero, Big Tex. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...