Friday, February 3, 2012

That Rare Second Chance - Count Your Blessings When You Get One

Only slightly rarer in this life than surviving a "near death experience" is getting a second chance at righting a terrible wrong.  In the first instance, a person may make some kind of error or simply be the victim of some fateful circumstance which literally comes to within an inch or a heartbeat of taking that person's life.  In the other instance, a person makes a mistake that breaks another's heart, and seemingly will never get another chance to fix that mistake, to relive that moment, and do it right.

A few days ago I read the very stunning news that an Orange County Deputy had been shot by a sixteen year old "boy," as the news called him.  This "teen" had been transported from a local juvenile facility to the Orange County Courthouse for a hearing.  The young man was handcuffed and shackled, but somehow managed to free his hands.  As Deputy Fred Ashworth was removing the juvenile from the police car back at the juvenile center, the juvenile managed to remove the deputy's gun from the holster.  He then shot Deputy Ashworth twice in the shoulder.  The officer fell wounded and the juvenile attempted to flee but found that he was locked in the sally port.  Other officers arrived a short time later.  One officer was also a paramedic and begin treating Deputy Ashworth literally under the gun the juvenile was holding.  Information now available tells us that Deputy Ashworth, now armed with only his taser, talked with the juvenile trying to get him to put down the gun before other officers arrived.  I have to admire both this peace officer's courage AND his ability to have concern for the person who had just tried to kill him and could still do so with a simple squeeze of the trigger.  Deputy Ashworth told the young man that even if he shot at the ever growing number of officers, he himself would surely be killed in the end.  And for reasons unknown, the young man eventually gave up without further bloodshed.

The epilogue to this terrible event is that Deputy Ashworth not only survived, and saved his assailant's life in the process, but Deputy Ashworth has now been released from the hospital and likely will be able to return to his job in just a little while.  But that is only part of the epilogue; the other part is that Deputy Ashworth will be able to resume his normal activities soon, and he will also get that coveted and rare second chance to relive his experience, in this case the transportation of a prisoner, and correct his mistake or correct the weakness in the equipment that the juvenile offender used to his advantage.  Whether there was a human mistake or just a fateful flaw in the restraint equipment, Deputy Ashworth will get that second chance that people so many times do not.

Tonight I got a second chance of the other kind - the kind in which I made a terrible mistake, albeit unintentional, that hurt another person, breaking her heart.  It was just a thoughtless moment, or rather, a poorly thought out moment.  Poorly thought out on my part, I mean.  It was a couple of years ago, and my SO, who is a nurse, was out of town for days attending a medical conference.   When she returned to Midland, so eager to see me and happy to be home once again, I was waiting for her near the baggage claim area.   A few minutes after I arrived, I saw her coming down the escalator from which she would make her way to the baggage claim area.  But when she got off the escalator, instead of going to the baggage carousel, my lovely bride began running toward me.  She ran to me, embraced me so tightly, and with tears streaming down her cheeks she told me how desperately she had missed me.  She told me how happy she was to see me again.

I was overwhelmed and embraced her in return....

No, what I really did, my friends, was so selfish and to her, so uncaring and heartless.  I told her, "Sweetheart, there are too many people around.  They are watching us!"  My friends, I cannot tell you how this thoughtless moment crushed my wife.  She was so glad to see me, she had missed me so much that all she wanted to do was to fall into my arms and let me hold her close to me, to let her know how much I had missed her.  Instead, I was so concerned with appearances.  What would other people think of a "mature" man showing such an intense display of public affection? Just like that what should have been a magical moment between two people in love was broken by a rash moment of thoughtlessness. 

Fast forward to tonight.  My lovely bride was just arriving at Midland International after having attended a week-long conference out of state.  Yes, there it was, my coveted and rare second chance.  I had bought two special gifts for my bride, and now I was racing to the airport.  I just HAD to get to the lobby and be waiting for her when she came down that same escalator.  I would be standing in nearly the exact spot I had stood those years ago, and she would make the same detour from the baggage claim area to come running to me, her arms spread open.........

Just then the phone rang.  She said, "I have my bags.  Inside or outside?"  I was still a block away from the lobby!  I hastily texted her "Stay Inside!"  A few minutes later she texted me the following: I am waiting outside.  I was already parked and just about to run inside the lobby, bearing my gifts.  So I texted back to her, "No! Wait inside!"  I know she was puzzled, but she complied with my demand.

I entered the lobby from the center entrance while she was at the north entrance.  She did not see me, so I ran.  I got as close to her as I could before she saw me.  I said, "Honey!"  My lovely bride started running to me but she only took about two steps before I was upon her.  I hugged her close to me and told her how happy I was to see her.  She told me how happy she was to see me, and to be home!  We embraced so tightly right there in the airport lobby.  I do not know if any of the many travelers trying to retrieve their bags saw us, or paid attention to us at all.  I did not care.  All I cared about was the love of my life was standing there, all safe and sound, and so happy to see me again.

The epilogue to this event was that I took advantage of the rare and special second chance I was given to right that heartbreaking wrong of two years ago.  I had to wonder how many people get a second chance to right some deep wrong.  How blessed was I to get this chance.  Not the dramatic second chance that Deputy Ashworth got, but the heartfelt and poignant kind that two people in love will never forget.  And I gave her those two special gifts...not expensive...but meaningful in the moment.

Maybe you have something, some wrong, some deed, that you would give anything...ANYTHING...to have that one chance to do it again...to do it right.  Just don't give up, don't lose hope.  That second chance may be waiting just around the corner, just across the next bridge.  All you have to do is forget your selfishness and concern about what people...anyone...will think, and grab that second chance with all your strength, mind, and heart.  Don't be afraid...just do it.  The reward is a very happy and tearful spouse...and such a warm feeling in your heart to know that you got a second chance...and you got it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...