Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Unsettled In My New Settlement

Unsettled is the word for a few more days.  I am living out of my suitcase at the moment and waiting eagerly for my apartment to be made ready.  The primitive conditions in which I am living at the moment have reawakened me.  I mean, when was the last time you lived without a home Internet connection?  Specifically, any time I need the Internet, I must leave my suitcase and venture out to a nearby Wi-Fi hotspot or make the journey all the way to Greenwood so that I can pirate my brother-in-law's Internet.  How very inconvenient!  How did we EVER survive BEFORE we even HAD Internet!?

Country songs sometimes express my exact sentiments, that is, when some guy is not losing his wife, his kids, his home, his job, his dog, and...maybe...even his truck.  But yesterday I heard a song in which the artist lamented the "old days" (probably around the time of Watergate) when there were no video games (PONG had yet to hit the market) and there were only three channels on the tube.  Incidentally, in those days the Tube really had tubes in it.  To make matters worse, the singer wailed, he had to walk over to the TV to change channels.  He forgot to mention "rabbit ears" and how one unfortunate person had to hold them "just right" so that everyone else could watch the television show.

But I digress...
So I am overcoming the challenge of living "unconnected" only because there is light at the end of the tunnel.  In just a few days my apartment will be "made ready." Dish cc will place the little dish out on the wall, and presto, I will be LIVE again!  Plus there will be more than three channels on the television, which I will not have to get out of my chair to change via remote control.  It will be nice to be "back to the future" again.  But I did not mention the best part!  It deserves a new paragraph!

The best part is that  my lovely bride will be living in the same apartment that I do!  That's right, boys and girls!  We will both reside in the same town at the same time, and in the same house.  The expenses will be cut dramatically by having only one household again.  She did reside with me at the beach house, true, but before that we had been separated for two years by our jobs.  Such was the trial of being a working detective. 

I have enjoyed doing this little blog, and I will keep on blogging for the foreseeable future.  I am truly grateful for all of you who have stayed tuned even when the blogging was a little thin.  There is always something to talk about, if one can find a hot connection for transmitting.  It is just a little more difficult when a person is still unsettled in his new settlement.

PS:  A big thank you to the guy at Burger King on Midkiff Drive in Midland!!  He provided me with free Internet today, as well as a free Large Drink.  West Texas hospitality!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...