Thursday, February 22, 2018

Vacation Day 6: Breakfast With Baby Baby, or It Sure Is Quiet Around Here

Vacation Day Six found us back in Midland, and Baby Baby had spent the night of Vacation Day 5 with us.  So morning came early on Vacation Day 6 as we all had to get ready so that my lovely bride would be on time for her appointment.  By the way, do any of you find that no matter HOW EARLY you arise, you still pretty much arrive at your appointment at about the same time as you would have if you had gotten up with only a few minutes to spare, rushed like the house was on fire, raced to the appointment, and arrive right at the bell?

We all bundled up at hit the road at about 0930.  There was ice on the ground but the roads were not too bad at all.  There was no reason we could not be at the appointment on time.  And that's when the little light came on and a quiet little beep sounded somewhere around the gas gage.  Yikes, the truck was pretty much running on fumes!  According to the highly computerized instrument panel, we had nineteen miles to go before empty.  Well, it so happened that our destination was also about nineteen miles as well.  Fortunately I knew that there was a gas station just ahead, and though the price per gallon was not exactly bargain-rate, I was a beggar, not a chooser, just at that moment.  I loaded about five gallons, then we were off to the races again.  We got to the appointment right on the nose.  Honey hurried off to her meeting and I had Baby Baby all to myself.

We went over to IHOP because Baby Baby wanted "Happy Cakes," her name for pancakes, cupcakes, and especially BIRTHDAY cakes.  She knows everyone says "Happy Birthday" when these special cakes are served at parties, so she now calls almost every baked goody a happy cake.  By the way, it was about 29 degrees outside, after a balmy 70 degree day yesterday.  Baby Baby buried her head in my shoulder and said, "Cold, Poppee!!"  I had to agree with her.  But we bundled up and dashed into the IHOP.  About three episodes of Peppa Pig later, the happy cakes arrived.  We had just about eaten our fill of happy cakes when the phone rang.  My lovely bride was ready for us to come get her.  So I washed all the excess honey off Baby Baby, and we bundled up again.  Baby Baby once again told me it was cold, and I told her yes it was!

We picked up my lovely bride, who was excited with the results of her meeting.  One of the things she likes to do when she is really happy about something is to get a large root beer from Sonic.  It so happened there was a Sonic up the road.  As I was ordering that particular drink, my lovely bride was on the phone with Child B (Baby Baby's mother).  It turned out that a food run was in order, but not Sonic food.  Child B wanted something from Rosa's, and Child B's hubby wanted something from Fazzoli's.  Luckily both were nearby.  A few minutes later we were at Child B's home.

Baby Baby was so happy to see Mommy (Child B) again, and so were we.  We had been out of town for several days and had not had our Child B fix in that time.  As soon as I had hugged Child B, however, Baby Baby was yelling at me to "come play, Poppee!"  Well, of course I could not resist that invitation.  I spent the next hour or so "eating popsicles" and "licking ice cream cones" that Baby Baby had in her room.  I would have said in her toy box, but Baby Baby does not keep many of her toys in the toy box.  Then it was story time.  She especially liked Baby Llama Red Pajamas.  She managed to pay rapt attention for the few minutes it took to read that story.  Then she was back to licking popsicles while coloring her "pictures" while playing on her electronic learning machine while bouncing her red ball while lining her Paw Patrol cars into a perfect row.  Yes, she is definitely a multitask-er.

Unfortunately, Poppee ran out of energy.  While Baby Baby was employed at her several tasks, I managed to drag my carcass back to the living room.  Once there, I pulled myself up to a sitting position on the couch.  Later I heard Child B remark that "Daddy appears to be sleeping."  Of course I was not sleeping, just checking the status of the inside of my eyelids.  Baby Baby came into the living room to check on me, or maybe to watch Peppa Pig.  She tried to get Honey to go play with her in her room, but it was time for us to get going.  My lovely bride and I said our good byes and forcibly removed ourselves from Baby Baby.

The ride home was a little quieter without Baby Baby's chatter, or her constant requests for us to help her get her toys, which she regularly drops from her car seat, and then cannot reach them.  Back at our house, it was sure quiet as well.  Baby baby's car, her riding giraffe, her crayons, her "pictures" (coloring books), and many of her toys, were still scattered across the living room floor.  I know that a child should spend at least SOME time with her parents, but we miss Baby Baby when she is gone.  And, when she is gone, it sure is quiet around here.

As the Oak Ridge Boys once sang, "thank God for kids!"  I thank God for my children, and for my new son.  He and Child B have given us the best present that no amount of money in the world could buy.  And soon there will be another little addition to Child B's family.  Perhaps SOMEDAY Child A will provide us with another grandchild, someday.  No PRESSURE, Child A...no pressure!

May God bless all of you.

1 comment:

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...