Sunday, January 28, 2018

The Hebrew Lawyer and The Good Neighbor

The story of the Good Samaritan, found in the Gospels of Matthew, Luke, and Mark, both answers a "smart Alec" Hebrew lawyer's question to Jesus, and demonstrates to us the true meaning of the word "neighbor."

Without retelling this story (most of the time it is listed as a parable, but Jesus knew a lot of things, saw a lot of things, and for those reasons I feel like this incident was not necessarily a "parable", although that is just my opinion and not really important at the moment), I will point out that the Hebrew lawyer was probably trying to both "broadcast" his life of "service" and to put Jesus ( who had not gone to Hebrew law school) to the test.  He asked Jesus, "Who is my neighbor?"

It may be that the lawyer wanted Jesus to reassure him that his neighbors were those folks who lived with him in his "gated community" or at least the good part of town where the other lawyers, doctors, clergy, and the other gentle-folk lived.  Those kind of "neighbors" were easy for this lawyer to love.  For one thing, they were "leading people" as was he, and for the other, they probably did not need help that often...so that "loving one's neighbor" did not require too much time away from activities the lawyer really wanted to pursue.  It was especially inconvenient to help a neighbor if one was in a hurry, say to get to the local Temple in time to get that seat of honor.

Jesus raised a few eyebrows, and probably some tempers, when the "neighbor" in his story turned out to be the Samaritan rather than the priest or the Levite.  Remember, at that time a Samaritan was shunned, if not outright HATED, by most "real" Jews.  But, as Jesus made the lawyer rightly confess, the Samaritan was true neighbor, because he was the only one of the three who came to the victim's aid. As the lawyer said, "The one who had mercy on him."  But Jesus added one more thing.  He told the lawyer, "Go...and do likewise."

For me, the neighbors I have found who needed help were never in such a dire situation as the man who was robbed and left for dead on the Jericho Road.  But one person I helped, who was my neighbor even though I did not know her, actually put my "religion" to the test.  My lovely bride and I (only a young couple at the time) were racing along because we were "late" to church.  Actually we would get there in time, but ONLY if we made all the green lights and did not have any other delays.  That's when I saw the car by the side of the road, hazard lights flashing, and an elderly lady standing forlornly at the back end of her car, flat tire quite obvious as I raced past.

My lovely bride looked at me...I mean looked at me.  All husbands KNOW what look I mean!

"But we'll be LATE!" I protested, rather sheepishly. In fact, I had already heard the Good Shepherd say, "Go...and DO likewise."  I heard my young bride say so as well.

I turned around and went to the elderly lady's aid.  She was so grateful, and so relieved that I was a young man with a young bride, and not someone who might harm her.  It just took a few minutes to change her tire and get her going.  She tried to pay me, but I had not done it for money.  Actually I HAD thought about the hypocrisy of NOT HELPING A NEIGHBOR because if I did the Lord's work (changed her flat) then I would be late to "church."  So, no, I certainly did not want any money...I was the one who was blessed, not this little old lady.

It truly IS more blessed to give than to receive...even if giving takes a little effort and is a little dangerous.

Over two years ago, I had occasion to meet a "transient," that is to say a "homeless man" who had hidden himself an a building where I worked.  I had to ask him to leave, and he was very cooperative, but when we got outside, it was blazing hot, well over 85 degrees.  The man asked me if I could buy him a bottle of water before I sent him on his way.  That was little enough to ask, and I did so.  Only a couple days later this man was struck by a train and killed.  As little as my gift to him had been, I was so happy that I had given this man "just a cup of water."  The police speculated that he may have taken his own life, but no one could be sure.  Just the same, I was glad I had provided him with at least a few minutes of comfort in what must have been an otherwise lonely and desolate life.

Only last night I came across another person who needed help.  She just needed someone to assist her into a wheelchair and then take her across the hospital, up the elevator, and then down a long hallway to a patient's room.  It was a simple enough request and I did it, even though I was actually on another mission at the time.  But just this simple act brought this woman to tears.  I guess you never know when someone is going to suddenly become your neighbor.

You may never be called on to help the victim of a pack of robbers, or to rescue someone from a burning building, but almost every day there will be someone around you who will suddenly need a neighbor.  Are you willing to be that neighbor?

Remember, the Good Shepherd has said, "Go...and do likewise."

May God bless all of you, and may the Good Shepherd keep you in His arms...

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...