Monday, January 1, 2018

Happy New Year

Happy New Year, Everyone!  Christmas has come and gone, and (believe it or not!) the Christmas tree is already down in the Meeks residence.  This is very unusual as I prefer to leave the tree up till just about the 4th of July.  But my lovely bride woke up with a vengeance this morning, and before I could even utter a feeble protest the tree was halfway down!

In my defense, one reason I was not able to utter a feeble protest was because I am recovering from some sort of flu-like illness that has attacked one then another of us through the past few days.  Even poor Baby Baby was sick on Christmas Day, suffering from this illness.  So today as I watch the various bowl games (Geaux Tigers!) I am definitely not up to one hundred percent.  Neither were the Tigers.  They dropped the game to Notre Dame, though just by one score.

As the Rose Bowl grinds on, I try to think of resolutions for the New Year, but all of those that I could make, I would probably end up breaking...so maybe I will just forego the resolution making for this year.  It may be that the lingering effects of this illness is keeping me from feeling the full optimism of this New Year's Day.

I guess more important to me than any resolution I could make is my hope for this New Year.  For one thing, I hope that we can go through this year with no mass shootings.  The church shootings, the public venue shootings, the ambushes of multiple police officers.  Wouldn't be great if in this new year there was not one single mass shooting?  Better yet, what if there were no shootings of any kind at all?

I think back to the second invasion of Irag under President George W. Bush, and the ongoing war in Afghanistan, and the smaller engagements still underway in the Baltics, and of President Obama's promise to end these conflicts, which he did not do.  Now, I wonder if President Trump will remove our troops from some or all of these conflicts? I can certainly hope...

I hope for less division in our country this year, for more listening, and more compromise.  I hope for more of the Golden Rule effect, not just "not bothering" anyone else, but actually treating others the way we would want to be treated, putting ourselves in the other person's shoes.  I hope, too, that we will see the truth with our own eyes, and not fall for what the "news" tells us is going in this nation and around the world, because the "news" needs to get ratings, not necessarily give us the "real story."

Most of all, I hope for all of us, that the good things in store for us in the coming year may by far outweigh the bad, the love outweigh the hate...because for all the trouble and trials and bad things that may happen, this world we live in is, overall, a pretty good place and holds many opportunities.

I can almost hear Louie Armstrong..."And I say to myself...what a wonderful world."

Happy New Year, and may God Bless you all.




No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...