Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Bad News, Mom, and Hummingbirds

The news on television, radio, and the Internet is chock full of bad news and should only be taken in moderation, if at all.  News stories inform us that the "Democrats" found no "wrong-doing" on Hillary's part in relation to Benghazi, while the "final report" by the "Republicans" finds that Hillary's actions (rather INaction) directly led to the deaths of our statesmen and soldiers.  Meanwhile, the Orlando massacre is being dissected by many different journalists and from many different angles.  If you read or listen to these stories you find that there is some degree of mystery surrounding why the first officers on the scene were told to "stand down" and pull back even BEFORE the SWAT team took up positions, possibly allowing the shooter more time to kill more victims.  On the other end of the spectrum journalists are positing that the "massacre" (in quotation marks) was "staged by the Government," another "false flag event" to condition Americans to expect, or even DEMAND, stricter gun control.  Some are even saying that "the Government" sent the shooter in the Pulse Club so that he would kill people, then "the Government" killed the shooter (who had surrendered) so that the shooter could not "talk."  In economic news, the ENTIRE WORLD ECONOMY is on the verge of collapse due to "Brexit."  Incidentally, I am SO TIRED of reading the word "Brexit" I could just about barf!!  You can read that in California the police "stood by" so that anti-protesters could attack the Neo-Nazis.  Give me a break!!!!!

So I shut off all electronics, save my cell phone, and just sat and enjoyed nature that was available right out in the front yard.  I only had my cell phone so that I could call Mom.  I promise I did not even LOOK at anything other than the "contact list" so that I could tell Siri to "Call Mom."  My lovely bride lost her mother last year, so I have made a point to talk to Mom as often as possible, even when there is "nothing" to talk about.  Luckily, since I am getting a little older (cough...cough...) I can talk to Mom now about my ailments when other areas of conversation lag.  So I talked to Mom about Baby Baby (our granddaughter) and the latest pictures that either the proud grandparents or the proud parents have sent via "message."  Mom has more or less mastered the art of sending and receiving messages, including photographs, so we now frequently send her pics of the latest cute thing Baby Baby has done.  I had talked to Mom nearly an hour before she finally said she was feeling a little sleepy.  I guess I am not the most exciting conversationalist!

Mom and I exchanged our "goodbyes" and "I love you's" and ended our call.  I sat outside a little longer, now covered in shadows as the sun was setting, and I watched a couple of hummingbirds feeding at a feeder I had just placed on a tree yesterday.  Hummingbirds...now these are truly remarkable and beautiful little creatures.  I am always in awe at the sight of these birds, whose wings flap so many times per second that humans cannot perceive the single beat of the wing.  These fragile little birds that will "defend" the hummingbird feeder from interloping hummingbirds with the ferocity of a grizzly bear, yet so small and delicate.  The birds today were emerald hummingbirds, the kind I have seem most often in this area.  That these tiny little birds can stand on a tree limb is truly amazing to me.  How small must be their toes, yet they can grip the branch and remain steady in the wind.  Truly little creatures of wonder.

It is surprising how "down to earth" one can feel after a talk with Mom and a few minutes with Mother Nature.  So I sat outside a little while longer.  Finally, as the mosquitoes began to sample my blood, I decided to retreat from nature and get back to this blog.  I hope you enjoyed this short intermission from the real world and remember:  Always take the bad news of the world in moderation.  And it really does not take a very big does to hit "moderation."

May God bless you all,

And God Bless America








No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...