Sunday, April 12, 2015

Another Sad Goodbye And Another Miracle - What A Week!

If you read my last post, you know that my wife's mother suffered a severe stroke and was seemingly just waiting to die.  But then she somehow (through the power of prayer I believe) regained full consciousness and got to spend another three days with her children and loved ones.  You may not know, however, that she passed away on the fourth day.  My wife lost her mother but was so happy to get those last three days with her.

My mother came to visit us on the following Sunday, and attended the funeral with us.  My mother-in-law was buried on this passed Wednesday.  My mother stayed with us and was to attend my daughter's baby shower today, April 12th.  That did not happen.  Unfortunately we received word that my grandmother has passed away on Thursday evening (the 9th).  My grandmother had been fading for the past several weeks, and we knew her death was imminent, but we were still saddened by the news.  Mom and I packed quickly and made the long drive from Midland to Gatesville, some three hundred and twenty miles.  I did not race, just drove the speed limit, while Mom and I talked about our memories of life with my grandmother.

About midnight we arrived at Gatesville and immediately received a phone call from my uncle.  He told us that "Grannie" was resting peacefully now that they had given her some stronger medication.  I was in shock.  I had been about to tell my uncle I was sorry he had lost his mother.  But she was still alive and was breathing on her own with little difficulty.  Mom and I spent a basically sleepless night then made our way to the nursing home.  There we gathered with several other relatives.  We talked among each other and watched over their mother.  She had not regained consciousness overnight but was still breathing with no mechanical assistance.

As the relatives talked, I sat silently at the foot of my grandmother's bed.  One of my aunts was sitting in a chair near my grandmother's head.  My aunt whispered to me, "Wesley, I don't believe she's breathing."  I looked at my grandmother and I saw that indeed her chest was neither rising nor falling.  I checked her carotid artery and felt nothing.  And she was not breathing.  I told everyone there that she was gone.  A nurse came into the room and confirmed that this dear lady had indeed passed away.  With no more than a missed breath, she slipped away into forever.

Tomorrow we will bury her body, but tonight I know that she has already made that final journey and is resting in the Good Shepherd's arms.  Yes, Grandmother died, but my mother and I, and the others there, were able to spend her last minutes with her.  Had we not received the call from a misinformed person, we would have been in Midland when my grandmother passed away, not at her bedside.  I was still reeling in amazement from the first miracle, the brief return of my mother-in-law, so I was nearly overwhelmed in the miracle Friday, the miracle that allowed us to spend a little time with my sweet grandmother before she passed on.

We don't need anymore death in our family for a little while, yet just today my dear sister suffered the loss of one of her loved ones.  Death will be with us always, and will visit our closest relatives from time to time, but we do not live in the fear of Death.  With the crucifixion and resurrection of the Good Shepherd over two thousand years ago, Death has lost its power and its sting.  It still saddens those left behind, but those who are taken are secure in the knowledge that they are going to the arms of the Good Shepherd.  I hope Death does not linger in my family, but we are not fearful.  Instead we are confident of our hope in Christ.

Rest in peace, my sweet Grandmother (Grannie) Curry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...