Thursday, December 4, 2014

Baltimore Bound, or...But Do We HAVE TO Fly?

I am sitting in the Southwest Terminal at the great and powerful Midland International Airport at the moment while waiting for our boarding gate to open.  Those of you who know me will know that I do not like to fly in a jet on a GOOD day, much less on a day when the ceiling is at around 500 feet.  Yes, I know they have radar and that I should be glad it is not raining or snowing, or worse.  Well, I AM glad for all the above; it's just that I get a little queasy every time I have to fly.  Not that I am a world traveler, you understand, but occasionally my lovely bride asks me to go on business trips with her.  But I usually limit those trips to Houston in the summer.  I suspect that the clime to which we will be journeying will be less than balmy.  But, I digress...

So it is hour two of day one of the trip to Baltimore.  I confess that I am excited about this opportunity to see such a historical location.  It was in the harbor near Fort McHenry that Francis Scott Key penned "The Star-Spangled Banner" as the British navy bombarded said fort.  Yes, I will be excited to see Baltimore and also the many attractions in nearby Washington, D.C.  But first, there is the dreaded flight!

I have to say that I made a feeble, futile attempt to talk my wife in to letting me drive to Baltimore.  I told her I was willing to drive all the way there and all the way back.  I know there is a chance of having a car wreck on the way to and from, but many times there are survivors in car accidents.  I suppose that there are many situations in which the airplane is already on the ground when a crash occurs, and in those cases some people DO survive.  But...if anything goes wrong at, say, 38,000 feet, and the pilots are not able to take corrective action...well, you know what happens then.

Cripees, the airliner just pulled up to the gate.  We will be boarding soon, like in ten minutes.  I know we have to be in Baltimore so that my lovely bride can attend her conference in the morning, but, as the jet parks at the portable gate, as the baggage is unloaded, and while our baggage is being onloaded, I have to wonder once again, Do We HAVE To Fly!!! 

The little kids are jumping with joy to board the plane...I guess I will put on my brave face for their sake.  So, I will (hopefully!!) make another post later today...time to run!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...