Friday, December 21, 2012

The END OF THE WORLD, No, But Part Of THEIR World Ended

My alarm clock went off as usual this morning.  As I groggily edged out of my bed, I could hear trucks running along the Loop.  Thus I knew that either the world had not ended or that, conversely, I had been culled to the left instead of to the right, as per the Good Book.  I sort of chuckled as I thought about all the hype that has been piled on us over the past two or three years concerning the dreaded "12/21/12."  The Mayan "long count" calendar ended in our own year of 2012.  Apparently other ancient predictors also pointed to 12/12/2012 as "The END."  But no, the world did not end.

Then I thought about all those affected by the killings in Newton, Connecticut as well as the two or three other multiple homicides around the nation since "12/14/12."  I thought about all the parents and siblings who have lost their children, brothers, and sisters.  I thought about the several sets of grandparents who had the lives of their beloved grandchildren suddenly snuffed out by this murderer.  And I realized that for many of these people, their world has stopped, at least temporarily, and not because of some obscure Mayan prediction.

Time has stood still for many of these people as they are caught up in the tragedy and sadness forced on them by the Newton shooter.   These families are slowly coming to grips with the idea that some of their dear children will not be a part of their Christmas, at least not a physical part.  How difficult it must be to go on with Christmas plans.  I am sure there will be some that cannot.  No, the "world" did not end, but a big part of their world is gone. 

As Christmas draws closer, I hope that all of you will join me in thinking thoughts of sympathy and compassion for the people of Newton, and that you will pray for the survivors.  The loved ones who were killed are in a better place now, and it is the ones left behind who must grieve, and who must face a new world without those taken from them last week.  May the Good Shepherd comfort them all, and even more so on Christmas Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...