Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Osama, Son of Laden, Meets His Demise

I can't deny that this is news although there are other things I would rather blog about.  Nonetheless, the news about Osama bin Laden is on most people's minds today.  Reaction to Osama's death ranged from grim satisfaction to joyous street celebrations, and all the emotions in between.  For me, Osama's death is anticlimactic and long overdue.

Osama bin Laden was truly an evil man who deserved to die, if anyone did.  But I did not feel like celebrating.  That was my choice and I don't intend to force others to share my opinion, nor do I judge anyone for feeling happy or joyful at this man's death.  I did not feel like celebrating because it took over a decade to "catch" bin Laden.  Remember, this one man was being pursued by the strongest military force in the world, the (supposedly) best spy agency in the world, the armed forces of several other nations, the FBI, and the national law enforcement agencies of several other nations. With all of these forces acting in a fairly united manner, Osama bin Laden still eluded capture or death for more than ten years.

I did not celebrate with shouting and joy because of all the American men and women, as well as foreign nationals, that have died since bin Laden began his rampage, years before September 11th.  I remember all the American soldiers and sailors that have given their lives in "the War on Terror."  I remember the brave crewmen of the USS Cole who wanted to be sure that the men in that small boat actually meant them harm.  Those terrorists exploded their bombs and killed our sailors who tried to give them the benefit of the doubt.  I have lost track of the US embassies blown up by bin Laden's henchmen over the years.  And directly because of bin Laden, the United States attacked two countries, Iraq and Afghanistan.  Now the fighting continues in both of those nations, with no end in sight.  How many thousands of our young men and women have we lost since 2003?  How many more will we lose, even though Osama is gone, until we "win" the "war on terror?"

I did not celebrate Osama's death because the death of this evil maniac will not bring back one single soldier or sailor, one poor victim of the 9/11 attacks, or any of the thousands of victims of Osama's world-wide bombing campaign.  The death of Osama will not bring back the feeling of security we lost on 9/11, nor will it bring back the liberties our own government took from us in the chaos and panic of those terrible days after the World Trade Center and Pentagon attacks.

Osama bin Laden is dead, and I am glad he is gone.  If people feel like celebrating, that is their privilege.  I know that somewhere in the world there are people who are saddened that he is gone.  Even his estranged family may feel the loss.  I remember how angry I was to see the Iraqis, Iranians, and Muslims all over the world celebrating when American soldiers (killed in a helicopter crash) were dragged through the streets, their bodies subjected to all kinds of abuse.  We were outraged!  I don't want to be a part of that kind of reaction.  Not when this man was allowed, either by incompetence on the part of our and other governments or by complicity, to live in relative comfort and peace for so long.  Finally our president stepped up and ordered the assassination of bin Laden.  But I wonder how many chances he and other presidents had to take the same action, both before and after 9/11. 

Yes, I am glad Osama, son of Laden, is dead.  But I hope you understand if I excuse myself from all the giddiness and partying.  This man, who should have been dealt with long ago, caused so much grief and destruction.  Instead of celebrating, I will say my thanks to the brave fighters who carried out the raid, and the president who ordered the raid, and I will remember our fellow Americans, as well as many foreigners, who lost their lives to Osama bin Laden.  And I will quietly gaze into the beautiful sunset and just thank God for America, this land of freedom that survives and thrives, in spite of all the Osamas and other monsters that rear their head and raise their hand against this great nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...