Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Book Signing for Bailey Black

I have to admit I was unsure what it would be like...the book signing, I mean.  I wondered if anyone would actually show up.  I wondered if I would be a good host.  Would anyone really want my book?  Stage fright?

The Coryell Museum and Historical Center, under the direction of Billy Byrom, graciously hosted the event, providing the room, the staff, and refreshments.  Not only that, but the museum staff prepared flyers and a news article prior to the event.  It was so great to have people coming in even before the book signing "started."  Several school mates and class mates attended, as well as many relatives, and a few people I had never met.  It was really nice to have people who were strangers to me come and tell me how they liked the book and could not wait for me to write another one.  And a really great thing happened.  Mrs. Lee (GISD Librarian) asked for copies of the book to place in the Gatesville school libraries.  I was so happy and proud. 

Just a few minutes into the event I had lost all my stage fright and was having the time of my life.  If I never have another book signing again, I will never forget this one!  Billy Byrom and the rest of the staff made my wife and me feel welcome, which made it all so much easier.  By the time it was over, I doubt if Stephen King felt any happier than I did at that moment.  My box of Bailey Black copies was empty.  I had pictured myself having to leave with a bunch of extra copies.  That was not the case.  In fact some people were not able to get all the copies they wanted. 

One highlight of the day was when I met Mrs. Black, who is married to...that's right...she is married to Bailey Black.  Of course he has not robbed as many banks as the main character of my book.  Mrs. Black bought a copy of the book for sentimental reasons.  I remembered her relatives who had operated Black's Grocery Store on the square in Gatesville so many years ago.  In that day, when a person asked for ground meat (hamburger) the butcher grabbed a cut of beef and ran it through the grinder while the customer waited, then wrapped the meat in white "butcher's paper."  The meat was never frozen.  I don't remember if it tasted any better then, but a trip to the grocery was a lot more fun.

I would like to thank all my friends for making the book signing a success.  I especially want to thank the Coryell Museum and Historical Center, and Billy Byrom, for making this signing a success.  I urge those of you who live in Texas to get by the Coryell Museum.  It only takes a short while to view all the exhibits but it is such an interesting and educational facility.  By the way, you should also visit your own local museum at least once.  These museums do not only preserve the past, but they preserve the past of your own family or those that you may know personally or through your parents.  It is a worthwhile activity.

Well, I will no longer have to keep nagging the reader about Bailey Black.  It is time to move on to the next project(s).  Just remember that Bailey Black is available through Amazon as well as Barnes and Noble.  Also Kindle users can get Bailey Black in that format.  Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...