Monday, December 4, 2017

Winter In Midland - or - I Would Rather Be In Portugal

As I face the reality of winter setting in for the...er...winter...I sometimes start thinking of far off climes that I might like to tour during these cold times in West Texas.  It is not cold at the moment, but the first real winter storm of the season is only days away!  When the cold gets here I think I would rather be somewhere warm.  Maybe Portugal.

Portugal, once a powerful empire-builder, is now a popular tourist destination, a place "right out of history."  Portugal is about average in size as far as European nations go, but small compared to other places - Texas, for instance.  The little nation is roughly only about one-ninth the size of Texas.  Stated another way, a road trip across the entire length of Portugal would take about as long as it would take me to drive from Midland to Houston.  A little more scientifically, the entire nation of Portugal encompasses just under 36,000 square miles, while the state of Texas boasts over 265,000.  But enough Texas braggin'!

I think my first stop would be the city of Lisbon.  Specifically I would like to spend a few hours riding the famous Tram 28 through the various historic districts of Lisbon.  I would love to see St. George's Castle, stroll through the streets of Alfama.  These streets are still paved with cobblestones and lined with small shops and eateries.  They say the trams are not air conditioned, so I hope people - natives and tourists alike - shower before getting on board!

After a day in Lisbon touring the antiquities, I would then make a dash to one of the nearby beaches.  I understand that the beaches closest to Lisbon are beautiful, but the water is somewhat cool.  The Mediterranean waters are warmer than those of the Atlantic.  I suppose the waters of the Gulf of Mexico might have spoiled me to expect warm water wading, but apparently that is not the case in Lisbon.  Nonetheless, strolls along the beach would be just what the doctor ordered.  The first night in Lisbon would definitely be spent in tipping a few Margaritas, or maybe some local favorite.

I suppose the real attraction that Portugal holds for me is that this little nation is chock full of history.  The old buildings, the castles, the convents and monasteries, and even the ancient cemeteries would hold my attention the second day.  Perhaps I would accidentally step where Columbus trod over five hundred years ago.  Would Portugal would have enjoyed another two or three centuries as a world power had the King financed Columbus instead of sending him packing? I guess we will never know.

Now, these five centuries later, Portugal has long divested itself of its colonial interests, the last being the richest colony, Brazil, which was granted independence in 1825.  Since then, Portugal has declined as a world player, but was a founding member of NATO in 1949.  But for some reason, Portugal has called me, gaining a spot on my "bucket list" along with a trip to the "Mull of Kintyre" and a visit to Campbeltown, in Scotland, to see if maybe I have some relatives living there.  Rats, I don't even have a passport!

Hopefully I will get that passport soon and beat the snow to Portugal!     

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...