Thursday, January 12, 2017

Belated Happy New Year and First Blog

I waited twelve days into the new year before posting my first blog.  There were several reasons I did this.  One, I was still in holiday mode from having four different Christmases in three different towns.  It was great!  So good to see all the loved ones again.  Then after a short work week, during which I remained in holiday mode, it was time for New Year's day and more visiting.  Then the next weekend we had to travel again to Central Texas both for business and pleasure. 

Two, working at the hospital is such a see saw situation.  By January 9,  I was back to work and definitely not in holiday mode anymore.  Working at a hospital is a roller coaster ride, even if one is not directly involved in medical treatment of sick or injured persons.  Helping deal with the loved ones and survivors has its own stresses.  Then jumping from helping people to regulating people's behavior is another roller coaster ride.  By the end of each day I have been through the emotional wringer, leaving my creativity largely non-creative. So, at times I did not even think about blogging, or if I did, I just could not generate another post.

Three, I am once again involved in a literary project, and another SECRET project as well.  I cannot tell you about the secret one yet; suffice to say it will be very exciting...or it will be a flop and die before it is even really born.  But more about both of those things later.  The point is, another distraction.

Finally, I have embarked on a do or die exercise and life-change program that will see me back to a size and weight I have only dreamed about since at least 1992.  I am participating in and working this program every day.  If I cannot work the program and a blog into the same night, and still get to bed at reasonable hour, I forego the blog, not the exercise. 

All of these things add up to a guy not working his blog.  But blogging is important to me and I still want to do it.  Perhaps the topics of my blog posts will not be nearly so concerned with politics.  I have had the pleasure of adopting a lifestyle more akin to that described by Dan Millman in his Peaceful Warrior semi-fictional works.  And I have taken to heart the words of the Good Book as well, to help me remember two things: one of should be IN the world, but not OF the world, and, it is more blessed to give than to receive.  At this point in my life I realize these are more worthy ambitions than trying to take hold of that elusive million dollars that I may or may not ever have. 

The only good advice I can give now, having reached the point where I am "older and wiser," is that life is not a sure thing.  I mean, we all will come to the end of our lives, but for each of us it will be on our own appointed day.  The tricky thing is we cannot know when the day will be.  So, it is very important to live as a Peaceful Warrior, not trouble-seeking, but strong in times of trouble, not seeking wealth above everything, but managing our wealth (money included) so that we are rich whether or not we EVER have a seven-figure income.  And living your best life regardless of all the political troubles, social troubles, and personal troubles we all have.

Life is not a sure thing, so live your life in full, do the things you want to do, and need to do...and realize that you probably don't have time to accomplish everything you want, but all of us have all the time we were allotted by the Creator.  I intend to use mine well, even in the simple things, like blogging.  I do not think I have any earth-shattering, profound words of wisdom to offer, but I do take pleasure in offering interesting things, surprising things, historical things, and even humorous stories about the things that happen in my life. 

I am so happy to have you, the handful of loyal readers.  I don't covet those that have blogs that get thousands or millions of hits each day, I am just happy for those who visit these pages  So I wish a happy and prosperous New Year to all.  There will be troubles yes, but there will be many pleasures and treasures as well.

May all of you be well
And may God Bless America

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...