Friday, July 15, 2016

End Of Vacation or Goodbye To Pete's Retreat

This is Thursday evening, the last full day/night that my lovely bride and I have to spend at our little spot of paradise, Pete's Retreat in San Luis Pass.  No, this is not a highly popular stretch of beach in Miami, but it is a wonderful place that it is just far enough out of the way to let a guy have a little peace.   Being able to get up each morning and walk along the beach or in the surf, or just to set on the balcony and enjoy the breeze has been such a pleasure, such a burden release.  I really do no want to see it come to an end.

We have relatives in the Angleton area whom we just don't get to see often enough, as well as many friends from high school.  The only regret about this trip is that there was just not enough time to see everyone.  Well, actually the other regret will be to leave the ocean.  I have developed a great love for the Third Coast, especially in the Old Fort Velasco area.  Like I said, this is not a really popular stretch of beach and not one of the prettiest beaches in the nation, but it has its own elusive beauty, much like the scraggly deserts of West Texas have their own rugged appeal.  I could even envision myself retiring here.

One of the greatest pleasure of this trip was heaving our little granddaughter with us.  This little girl, whom I call Baby Baby (a nickname I made up myself), rode with us all the way from Midland, Texas to the point where State Highway 36 terminates at the Gulf of Mexico.  Baby Baby made the ride of nearly seven hundred miles with very little complaint.  She was a pleasure all the way.  I and my lovely bride are so thankful to Child B and her husband for allowing us to bring their precious treasure all the way across Texas and keep her away from them for a week.  Tonight we will meet Child B in Houston and bring her back to the beach house with us.  A couple days from now we will all (including Child B) ride all the way back across Texas.  This will be a pleasant trip and and just an added bonus to our vacation.

I know there are more interesting and more important things going on in the world right now, but my lovely bride and I will be travelling with two of the most important points of light in our lives.  So much wrong in the world today, yes, but there is so much right as well.  Family is the treasure that stands the test of time, when all else in the world may fail.

And may God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...