Tuesday, October 20, 2015

World War II Meets West Texas Hospital

Today while I was at an un-named hospital west of Abilene, I chanced to see a little old man barely making his way through the hospital cafeteria with the aid of a walking cane, which he leaned very heavily upon.  The gentleman was trying to balance a breakfast tray while using both hands to hang on to his cane.  A very thoughtful employee came to this man's aid, carrying his breakfast to the table for him.  The elderly man was very thankful and appreciative to the hospital employee for this little kindness.  As I walked by I noticed that the man was wearing a baseball cap which had the words "World War II Veteran" embroidered in gold letters.

At my own table, I set my food down then approached this gentleman, who was obviously in his nineties.  I asked him if he had served in World War II, and he said he did.  He described briefly his tour of duty overseas and then told me of his pride in his fellow soldiers, and in America, as everyone came together and defeated the true world threat, Adolph Hitler and the Nazi Army.  I listened to him, then told him I was proud of his generation and thankful for their service to America.  He shook my hand and I left him then to his breakfast.  But he was a joy to speak with, and he is one of the last of those great men and women.

One thing I expressed to this brave man was my own regret that I had never volunteered to serve in the armed forces, and I expressed to him my gratitude for what he had done.  But especially I told him that I truly believed that his was America's greatest generation.  I told him that, knowing myself, I did not believe I could have survived in the conditions he endured.  He just smiled and said he thought I and Americans of my generation would have stood strong just like his generation did.  As I left him to his breakfast, I thought to myself how blessed I was to have met him and talked with him.  Veterans of World War II are mostly gone now, but what great people they were.  We should be very proud of this man and others like him.

God Bless America

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...