Wednesday, June 6, 2012

June 6 - A Special Day of Remembrance

Ever since I was a young boy and I learned about the brave soldiers who took part in the D-Day invasion at Normandy, I have taken time, whether publicly or in private, to honor the memory of those men, both those who fought the battle and won, and those who lost their lives in the bloody waters and sands of Normandy Beach.  I have marvelled at the bravery of those soldiers as they faced that withering and deadly gunfire from the Nazi gun emplacements in the cliffs overlooking the coast.  There was no place to hide, and our men did not hide or shirk their duties, but took the several beaches on the Normandy coast at such a terrible cost.  I also wondered if I myself would have had the courage to carry out my mission if I had been on the beach that day in 1944.  Our elders were indeed brave, and indeed worthy to be called the Greatest Generation.

In1986 D-Day, June 6, took on a whole new meaning.  On that day, my spouse gave birth to our second child, Bryan Seth.  Our young son was born several weeks early, and suffered from severe respiratory problems associated with premature birth.  I have to admit that on this particular day I did not properly honor our war heroes as I was very involved in our own tragic situation.  My son Bryan fought bravely, and fought nearly as long as our soldiers did in that battle of long ago on the shores of Normandy.  And like so many of those brave men, he died on June 6.  We will never forget our Little Angel, but we know he is in the hands of the Good Shepherd at this very moment.  It is a great honor to remember our son on the same day as we remember all those soldiers, the heroes of the Normandy Invasion of World War II.  It is also a great comfort to know that Bryan is in the arms of the same Good Shepherd that received the souls of our fallen soldiers that terrible day in 1944.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...