Monday, November 7, 2011

The Heartbreak of AARP

(Before reading - Please understand I have nothing against AARP, and in fact will probably be a member before long)

I turned fifty in July of this year.  I made sure it was a low-profile birthday celebration, mainly by not mentioning the fact to anyone.  But SOMEONE knew my age anyway.  I have no idea who this particular someone could be, but I do know that in only about forty-eight hours I began receiving that dreaded piece of junk mail, yes, THAT one.  Someone must have called the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) and clued them in to that just past great milestone in my life - the big 50. 

Mind you, I have nothing against AARP, as I mentioned above.  What really guts me is the fact that I am old enough to be a member.  I guess if I joined AARP now, I would only be an "honorary" retired person as I am not, in fact, retired or old enough (OR RICH ENOUGH...grrrr...) to do so at the moment.  I know several people who have made it to retirement age, and others who made it to retirement wealth.  I am in neither group.  My lovely bride tells me she will not retire at 62 as she loves her work so much.  She also would not retire if she were wealthy enough at this moment to do so...because...she loves her work.  Me...not so much.  I can think of a few things I would be doing at this moment besides sitting at a desk, if I were "retired."  Speaking of the big 50, I think I might start there...as in Hawaii.

But back to the story...
I really do not like the fact that I am "eligible" for membership in AARP.  I like even less the fact that there is nothing I can do about my age.  And the alternative to getting older, of course, is not palatable, either.  Fifty has happened to every one who is fifty plus one day or older.  And, pending an earlier demise, it will happen to everyone who is now reveling in his or her youth.  Yes, my young friend...this will happen to you.  You may use all the Oil of Olay you would like.  It does not matter.  That certain piece of "junk mail" will eventually find you.  And yes, my friend, it IS heartbreaking.  You are now one of "them," one of those ''fuddy duds" that annoyed you so much when you were twenty.

But let me tell you one thing that changes...maybe not the very day you turn fifty, maybe it starts settling in a few years earlier, or  a few months.  That change is your perspective.  You realize that you are not "old."  You are "just" fifty.  You still have a few good years left.  And then it hits you.  Fifty-five is not old at all.  And sixty? Well, that is not the ancient age it once was.  Plus...now you are getting some really good deals from AARP!  Life is not all bad...

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...