Thursday, January 2, 2020

This is my first post of the new year.  First of all I would like to wish everyone a happy New Year, not just the first day, but the entire year.  I have not posted for the last month or so of 2019, and I would like to "close out" the 2019 blog year before I move on.

First, I would like to honor several fallen police officers in Texas, all who lost their lives in the line of duty during October and December of 2019:

Deputy Matthew Jones, Falls County Sheriff's Office - EOW 10-11-19  
Deputy Jones was struck by a vehicle while he and the Police Chief of Riesel, TX PD were assisting a stranded motorist during rainy weather.  An approaching vehicle hydroplaned, striking both officers.  The Police Chief was seriously injured but survived the accident.

Sergeant Christopher Brewster, Houston Police - EOW 12-07-19
Sergeant Brewster and other officers responded to a domestic disturbance.  Upon arrival at the residence, police learned that the caller and her abuser had left the home together on foot.  Sergeant Brewster spotted the couple and pulled to the curb.  As he got out of his car the suspect opened fire, hitting the officer several times.  The sergeant was transported to a nearby hospital but passed away a short time later.

Sergeant Kaila Sullivan, Nassau Bay Police (Houston area) - EOW 12-10-19
Sergeant Sullivan and another officer were attempting to arrest a wanted felon during a traffic stop.  The suspect resisted arrest and assaulted both officers.  During the struggle the suspect broke loose from both officers and got into his car.  Instead of simply driving away, he intentionally struck the sergeant with his vehicle, running over her.  He arrested two days later.  Sergeant Sullivan died of her injuries shortly after this incident.

Officer Humberto Meza, Burnet Police Department - EOW 12-20-19
Officer Meza and his canine partner had participated with several other officers in canine training.  During the training Officer Meza began feeling badly and eventually left the event.  The next morning he became unresponsive and his wife called for assistance.  Officer Meza was not revived and passed away due to a heart attack.

Detective Clifton Martinez, San Antonio ISD Police - EOW 12-21-19
Detective Martinez was working off duty a local restaurant on the evening of this incident.  A fight broke out between several restaurant patrons.  The detective got all the parties outside the restaurant, but was attacked by two or more suspects.  He was knocked to the ground.  One or more of the suspects got into a nearby vehicle and ran over the officer while he still lay in the parking lot.

Deputy Bryan Pfluger, San Jacinto Sheriff's Office - EOW 12-21-19
Deputy Pfluger was driving behind another sheriff deputy's vehicle as both were responding to a burglary.  The unit in front of Deputy Pfluger slowed suddenly to make a right turn.  Deputy Pfluger swerved to avoid hitting the other unit, but clipped the vehicle, causing his own patrol unit to flip over.  Deputy Pfluger was ejected from the vehicle, and died from the injuries he sustained due to being ejected.

Deputy Chris Dickerson, Panola County Sheriff's Office - EOW 12-31-19
Deputy Dickerson made a traffic stop at around 2:00 AM near Gary City.  The driver of the other car stepped out of his car and immediately began firing a semi-automatic rifle, striking the deputy six times.  Nearby residents heard the gunfire and investigated.  They found the deputy in the road by his car.  The suspect had already driven away and was subsequently arrested in Shreveport.

May the Good Shepherd continue to comfort the loved ones and friends of these officers, as well as their colleagues.  Several of these officers leave behind young wives and small children.  After all the funerals are done and the honors made, those who are left behind must face life without their police officers, their spouses, their fathers or mothers, their sons or daughters.  May the Good Shepherd continue to help them all.

For me, 2019 proved to be a year of blessings.  My lovely bride and I moved into our new home in September.  Speaking of my lovely bride, she received a professorship at a local university early in the year.  As the year went on, she completed research in connection with her dissertation, wrote the dissertation, got it approved, and, in November, successfully defended it.  On December 14th, she received her hard-earned PhD in Nursing.  I am so proud of her and all she has accomplished over the years.  And we both love our new house.


2020

The new year rolled in pretty quietly in my house.  My lovely bride and I watched several of the college football "bowl games" that were played throughout New Year's Eve, so by 11:00 PM we were both toast (NOT TOASTED) from having watched the grand kids all day and watching all those ball games.  I would not have traded the day for anything.  But my lovely bride and I did not imbibe heavily at all due to caring for the rugrats.  The kids went home and Honey and Poppee hit the sack pretty quickly.  The fireworks did not bother me in the least as I faded off into the land of Nod.

By 8:00 New Year's morning, I had broken several resolutions, one of which was that I would get up early to do some of the other things that I had resolved to do during the new year.  I also missed my meditation period, another resolution I made.  In fact it was after noon when I actually opened my eyes for the day.  I had risen earlier in the morning, pre-dawn, but that was just a for a pit stop, then I was back in the sack.  My lovely bride and I picked up the kids not long after that.  We treasure the time we get to spend with our little grand babies, so it was a treat to get them for another day.  We had a quick lunch, went shopping, then back home.  I played with the kids until I was tired, then I took a break: It was time for the Baylor - Georgia game, the Sugar Bowl.  At least I thought it was going to be a game.  It turned out to be a beat-up on Baylor game.  After the game was over, we got the granddaughter to bed.  The little boy had gone to bed much earlier.  The kids love it when they get to have a "sleep over."  I have to admit, I love it too!

On Jan. 2, I once again broke the above mentioned resolutions, although the children did not let us sleep until noon.  By 9:00 AM both kids were up and "play day" was in full swing.  A little later Honey made breakfast for everyone.  After breakfast...you guessed it...more play day!  I chased the kids around all afternoon, although I noticed that Honey had disappeared.  Turns out she sneaked off for a nap while the children kept me occupied.  The kids stayed with us until after 6:00 PM.  I was tired when Mom and Dad came to get them, but I was sure sorry to see them go.  They were happy to see Mommy and Daddy, and really excited to learn that they were going to visit their little cousins.  So Honey and Poppee got kisses and hugs (from both sets of kids) and they were gone.  And the house was so quiet.  It is always a little sad to see everyone leave, but always so good when they return for another visit, or even a sleep over.

As for as New Year's resolutions, I did actually make a few, and have already broken some of them, but there is one resolution I have not broken.  I would like to share this resolution with you, and encourage you to give it a try...that is, join me in doing this for the next thirty days.  I believe that after the thirty days are up, you will still continue with it, as will I.

The resolution that I am talking about is this: I resolved to write down each morning ten things I am grateful for.  Yes, I know the grammar is not correct, but this is the way most of us talk around here.  Ten things I am grateful for.  This can be anything I happen to think about, even simple things, like having awakened one more day, or having slept in a warm, soft bed overnight.  This simple technique is actually powerful, because, almost unconsciously, you will slowly but surely develop an attitude of gratitude.  With a grateful attitude, the little things and the big things that may have been annoying before, now are less stressful, more manageable, easier to deal with.

The second part of this technique is to write down five things, at the end of the day, that were a blessing to you.  Again, these can be simple things like someone smiled at me, I found a dime on the ground, the grandchildren came to visit, etc.  This is best done around bedtime, because for most of us, this time allows us to slow down and really examine our day, and the blessings we received, the good things that happened, during the day.  Again, this exercise is to help us notice our blessing, appreciate them, and, in doing so, develop that attitude of gratitude

I would like to challenge anyone who reads this to do this exercise, only committing to doing so for thirty days.  You will more than likely really develop the attitude of gratitude, and you will not want to stop this exercise when you reach the thirty day point.  I suspect that most people who try this will end up using this technique for years, or at least consciously realizing and appreciating how blessed they truly are.  I have only done this two days and I am already becoming more aware and appreciative of the blessings in my life.  So please, give it a try.  You have nothing to lose but a small notebook that you need to keep your writing in.  Good luck, and Happy New Year's to everyone.





No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...