Tuesday, July 9, 2019

It's Poppee's Birthday!!!!!

I have not been very surprised on my birthday for several years, or even decades! But I got a good surprise for my birthday today.  But first, let me say yes, I know today was not my birthday...it was the anniversary of my birthday.  Yeah, yeah.  We only have ONE birthday, I know.  So what?

But, back to my story...or actually to the background of my story.  At my age I am no longer that happy about having another birthday (anniversary), but also at my age, I realize the alternative to having more birthdays is not a pleasant one.  So when I awoke this morning, I knew it was my birthday, but not necessarily a happy one.  I guess it is like a Monday morning.  I might be glad to awaken to another day, but that does not mean it is going to be a happy Monday.  Same principle.

But NOT this time.

My lovely bride called me at around 11:30 AM and said she would be at my office about lunch time.  I could hear the voice of my Baby Baby in the car, as well as the shrieking of my Baby Derek, who cannot stand to ride in any car seat not suitable for the Queen of England, nay, even the princess of The Princess and The Pea fame.  But distinguishable in between his majesty's shrieks, Baby Baby was able to reveal to me, much to my lovely bride's chagrin, that they were all on the way to a local grocery store to buy a birthday cake for me.  Baby Baby was sooooo excited.  Honey (my lovely bride's "grandmother name") was busily shushing Baby Baby, but the proverbial cat was already out of the proverbial bag.

Honey, Baby Baby, and his majesty Baby Derek arrived about forty-five minutes later.  I knew they were here because I could hear Baby Baby proclaiming loudly down the hallway that she was bringing her Poppee a birthday cake.  The three of them walked into my temporary office and Baby Baby anxiously demanded that Honey show me the cake.  Baby Baby had picked out the cake herself, and she was sooooooo excited!!!!!!

It turns out that Baby Baby looked through several cake racks before finding the perfect cake for me.  She checked out and rejected several cakes but then said, "Honey, get that one!  He'll love it! Poppee will love it!!"  The cake had John Deere green and yellow icing and came with a dump truck and a bulldozer.  So we cut some pieces of the cake and headed for the hospital cafeteria with Baby Baby telling everyone all up and down the hallway that it was Poppee's birthday and SHE had gotten Poppee some birthday cake.  And, yes, she had picked it out HERSELF.  By the time we reached the cafeteria well over two hundred people knew that I was having my BIG DAY today!!!!

We ate our lunch, but Baby Baby could hardly contain herself long enough to finish her favorite food, "shushee" (sushi). Usually she eats shushee by the mouthful but today she could only manage about two shushee rolls before she demanded that we eat the birthday cake we had brought with us to the cafeteria.  It was great.  Between each bite of shushee, Baby Baby told anyone who would listen, and everyone who would not as well, that this was Poppee's birthday and SHE had picked out the cake.  And the cake had a TRUCK AND A BULLDOZER on it!!!  In just a few minutes the cake was gone, Baby Baby had a green and yellow clown face around her mouth, and even Sir Derek was licking green icing off his lips.

Yes, this was one of the best birthday surprises I have ever had, and I will treasure it for all my remaining birthday anniversaries.  All too soon my lunch hour was over.  We walked out of the hospital to Honey's car, and all the way...yes, you guessed it...Baby Baby told anyone within earshot that it was Poppee's birthday!!!!!

Thanks to my lovely bride, and my Baby Derek, and especially to Baby Baby.  What a great birthday surprise for a person who just turned 29...or so.

PS: I am playing with my new set of John Deere equipment.  What a GREAT birthday...er...anniversary!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...