Sunday, May 27, 2018

This Is America - I Refuse To Be Bound By The Laws Of The European Union - Even Just To Blog

I found the following notice pinned to my blog a few days ago:


European Union laws require you to give European Union visitors information about cookies used and data collected on your blog. In many cases, these laws also require you to obtain consent. 

As a courtesy, we have added a notice on your blog to explain Google's use of certain Blogger and Google cookies, including use of Google Analytics and AdSense cookies, and other data collected by Google. 

You are responsible for confirming this notice actually works for your blog, and that it displays. If you employ other cookies, for example by adding third party features, this notice may not work for you. If you include functionality from other providers there may be extra information collected from your users.



I reflected on the above statement for several days, and in that time I did not add any new posts to my blog.  But I am now back to post blogs until "B Blogger" takes my little (but THREATENING, apparently) blog off its website.  If that happens, I will just find a new launching point for my blogs.  Why do I feel this way?  Let's look at the B Blogger statement above.

The very first words are offensive and intolerable beyond description. "European Union laws require...."
Those first four words render the entire statement moot as far as I am concerned, and even more so on the eve of Memorial Day, a day when we honor the millions of fallen soldiers, sailors, and airmen who fought and died for OUR freedom.  The American heroes died so that AMERICANS could be free.  Yes, they died liberating our brothers and sisters across the oceans from Nazi and Japanese empirical intentions, but the ultimate aim of helping our allies defeat the Central Powers was so that the American way of life could continue.

So I find those first four words to be disgraceful.  We (you and I in the United States) are NOT under the laws of the European Union.  I understand that if I visit a member nation of the European Union (or ANY nation) that I am bound by the laws of those nations for the duration of my visit.  But how dare the hosts of B Blogger tell me that I am bound by the laws of the European Union if I choose to blog.  Readers of my blog are mostly in the United States, but some are from nations ranging from England to Indonesia.  You and I in the United States are citizens of the UNITED STATES, and therefore bound only by those laws passed by United States legislative bodies.

The B Blogger statement goes on to say that it is my responsibility to notify people in the European Union of any cookies that may be attached to my blog.  Well, attention European Union...I do not attach cookies to my blog.  If Blogger, Google, or any third party advertiser attaches cookies to this blog, I would have no way of knowing such.

Then the statement says that cookies from third party advertisers using this site may collect even more information than the blogger (me, in this case) knows is being collected by the cookie.  Well, since I don't know what information a cookie is collecting, and I may not even be aware of these cookies, I am pretty sure I could not give an educated answer as to what cookies have been embedded in this blog, and what information those cookies are collecting. 

But the main point is, the European Union has no authority over me as long as I am in the United States.  Would B Blogger have even posted the same notice if it were "required" by Russia or China?  I think we know the answer to that question.  I am sure any person would be enraged to hear that we were bound by the laws of those two nations, and the same goes for the European Union, as far as I am concerned.  

So, on the eve of Memorial Day, the day we choose to honor our dead soldiers, I choose to honor those soldiers by ignoring the statement from B Blogger.  I am NOT going to attempt to find out what cookies are embedded in this blog, nor will I attempt to find out what information such cookies are collecting.  I blog from the United States; therefore I will make no attempt to comply with laws of any other nation.  Of course I know that this blog can be seen by anyone around the world who follows it, or accidentally stumbles across it.  Of course I know (now, at least) that someone is attaching cookies to my blog, as my "payment" for using the B Blogger platform.  But here is one other thing I know, and believe.  If my blog, or the website that I blog on, is offensive to, or in violation of, a nation's laws, it is up to that nation to censor my blog or the website responsible for allowing such offensive blogs as mine access to the Internet.  

I am thankful and grateful for the sacrifices made by our American heroes, 

and may God bless America.

PS: I will continue to blog until B Blogger cuts me off.  I appreciate everyone of you who read my blogs.  If this blog goes away, I will eventually find another and be back on the net again.





1 comment:

  1. This is not Americanism or ethnocentrism. I would expect any citizen of any other nation to feel the same way. First, we are citizens of our home nations, that is the law we follow. Second, with so many laws of our own to follow, it is just too much to worry about violating international simply by blogging.

    ReplyDelete

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...