Tuesday, September 1, 2015

End of Watch: Deputy Darren Goforth, August 28, 2015

Jesus said it this way in John 15:13:
             
                    Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

Deputy Goforth fulfilled this scripture at the last hour of his tour of duty on August 28th, as he was struck down by a very cowardly assassin whose name I will not stain this page with.  Deputy Goforth laid down his life for his friends, that is for all people in Harris County, and for all of us everywhere in this nation who are protected by brave police officers even when we sleep.

Yes, we have heard many times, especially in the last couple of years, about terrible police brutality, yet we know that these dishonest, cowardly, and rogue police officers represent less than one percent of all police officers.  Most officers love the work they do and most police want to do well at what they do.  I have respect for police officers and I very proudly served as one years ago.  I also witnessed some not so noble actions by a couple of officers over the years, and I participated helping remove a couple officers who were unfit for service.  As a civilian I have been treated mostly very well by officers who did not know me and had no idea of my background, and I have also been treated very harshly and disrespectfully by a couple of officers.  Officers are human, and they have "bad days" at work just like everyone.  But the atmosphere of hate and murderous intent towards officers that we are seeing now has me both baffled and angered.  Very angered.

I normally post a page of respect towards a fallen officer within twenty-four hours of learning of an officer's death.  The cold blooded, unprovoked, cowardly, spiteful, and senseless murder of Deputy Goforth has given me a feeling of anger I have not experienced in quite some time; therefore, I felt it was better to wait a day or so.  Now, while I am still very angry, at least I can write without putting words on this page that I might regret later.  I believe that Deputy Goforth was one of the early casualties in what could turn out a long and dangerous era for law enforcement.  I believe also that what we, you and I, as citizens do is very important, and must speak loudly and clearly to those who think they can bring murder and anarchy to our streets, who think they can kill police officers and then walk away with impunity. 

Police officers are mostly dedicated to their job, yet their job would be impossible without the support of the majority of people.  It is time for you and I as law-abiding citizens to not only abide by the law as we have, but to publicly and proudly proclaim and display our support for police officers.  As for me, I am also prepared to intervene to assist police officers who may be ambushed by these cowards as the officers perform their duties.  Just hours after Deputy Goforth was murdered, officers in another state were fired upon from a passing vehicle while they were taking a vandalism report from a citizen.  Obviously these cowards are willing to place you and I at risk as they attempt to murder officers. 

To Deputy Darren Goforth, Harris County Sheriff's Office, I express my thanks and my appreciation for his service.  To his widow and children, and to his fellow officers, I express my deepest sympathy and prayers.  This family and these officers have been robbed of a husband, father, and a brother officer.  This loss is irreplaceable, although I have confidence that this family will make it through this sad time, as will the officers of the Harris County Sheriff's Office.  For these officers, and for all officers in this state and in this nation, I pray for their safety. 

May God be with the Goforth family and the sheriff deputies and officers of Harris County.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...