Friday, July 25, 2014

Drought Continues, But The Weeds Are Bountiful

The drought for the Permian Basin area, including Midland, is still in full swing...Midland is three inches short of rain for the year, added to an average of three inches off for the past several years, and you have what is known as a "dry spell."  But...

In July, we have had rain on several occasions, although never in more than half-inch increments.  So we are still in the headlock of a major drought, along with much of the rest of the state.  Lakes are low all over the state, particularly in the south and west. Yet, with all of the drought, I STILL HAVE TO MOW THE YARD!!

That's right!  Even though we are in a severe water shortage, the light to medium rains scattered across July, along with the "inland hurricane" we experienced last month, have led to the greenest yard I have experienced here in some time.  My yard is, in fact, a lush, beautiful green with tall vegetation, attracting much wildlife - though not "wild animals," just several neighborhood cats, a tortoise, and a little skunk.

So my yard is beautiful and green, but...well, it reminds me of an old song played on Hee Haw (you youngsters can google Hee Haw if you want to know what that is) from time to time, which went "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all..."  Just sing these words to the same tune: If it weren't for green weeds I'd have no yard at all...  But I do have a yard with so little grass that you can count the blades on two hands.  AND I NEED TO MOW!  The grass is at a very reasonable level, but the weeds, beautiful and green, are well over knee-high.  In fact the weeds are high enough to scare my lawn mower.

No, my friends, I have not put off mowing until the weeds finally grew tall.  In fact, I mowed only LAST WEEK.  But, with the scattered showers throughout July, the weeds apparently believe they are in Unwanted Plant Heaven, which is apparently located in my front and back yards.  In less than seven days the weeds have grown incredibly tall.  But there is one positive in all this: When I mow the tall weeds and reach down to one-inch lawn level, I always discover a bevy of lost tools and missing lawn-shoes.  Oh yeah, also mowing the jungle-thick vegetation invariably reveals many of Coleton's lost toys, and such.   Yes, mowing the yard becomes a veritable treasure hunt.

But...

I am left with one lingering question:  Why, if plants need water to thrive, do weeds thrive and triple-thrive, while the grass just gets smaller and browner?  Well, do not have time to ponder this most profound question...I have to put on my boots and get to the mowing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...