Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Our American Heroes In Lithuania

One of the best kept un-secrets of the spring is that American paratroopers, in very limited numbers, have deployed to Lithuania, as result of threats to this small but defiant little nation, from Russia's President Putin.  The leadership of Lithuania, personified by Lithuania's president, Dalia Grybauskaite (Lithuania's first female president, by the way), dared to openly criticize the Russian invasion and occupation of the Crimea.  President Grybauskaite, in welcoming US troops, stated "...as threats emerge, we see who our real friends are."  The Lithuanian President would most likely be one of the first persons arrested (or worse) if Mr. Putin chooses to put his threats into action.  President Grybauskaite knows this full well, and this is why she is so happy to see the United States honor its NATO obligation to Lithuania, one of its newest members.

I admire President Grybauskaite's determination to keep her nation free, and I am pleased too that she believes the United States will help her nation, as demonstrated by the arrival of US forces there.  And, in one those rare moments that I don't like, but will not shirk from, I commend President Obama for sending our forces on a just and honorable mission.  Yes, I truly do not like to find myself in agreement with President Obama, but in this case I must, and I do.  I further call on him to send more troops to the aid of President Grybauskite and the people of Lithuania should the situation there warrant it.  Lithuanians have demonstrated their desire for freedom since at least the period of the Russian Revolution.  They endured Soviet occupation, Nazi invasion, then Soviet occupation again, but through it all remained true to their nation and their desire for independence.

I pray for the safety of our troops while they are in Lithuania, and I wish them Godspeed as they carryout their mission. I am, however, very concerned for our troops' safety in light of the Administration's demonstrated tendency to abandon American soldiers and American citizens when it is "politically expedient" to do so, such as in the Benghazi tragedy.  The very fact that our troops are on the ground in Lithuania is not politically expedient, but I believe it was the right thing for our President to do.  Now, I call on our President, and I call on all of us as well, to have the stomach to protect our troops in Lithuania, and the people of Lithuania as well, by sending more troops if the threat to Lithuania (and by extension, NATO) should be elevated by President Putin.  Sending one hundred fifty troops is a great gesture, and was sincerely welcomed by the Lithuanians, but will President Obama be willing to send more soldiers if the worst case scenario arises?  Will the American people stand together and demand that our heroes in Lithuania not be abandoned if the Russian threat should materialize into reality?  I hope President Obama does, and I hope we are.  Ultimately, I hope that whatever else may happen, the Lithuanian people will never have cause to doubt our friendship, and I hope our troops there never have reason to believe that President Obama, or the one who follows him, will abandon them in the face of invasion, even if it is "politically expedient" to do so.

Support Our Troops
God Bless American
God Bless Lithuania

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...