Monday, October 7, 2013

A Federal Agent and A Bull: A (Mostly) True Story My Uncle Told Me

I love going "back home" to visit with the old folks.  You just never know when you will hear a bit of unknown local history, or sometimes just a good laugh.  For example, just the other day I heard this from my uncle. It could be a true story, and I think it is, or a least part of it.  After all, why would Uncle Rodger make up something like this?

An old farmer was hard at work one morning when he noticed a man trespassing on his property.  The farmer went to the man and told him to leave, because he had not given the stranger permission to enter his farm.

The stranger, full of bluster and arrogance, sneered at the farmer and pulled out an official looking ID card.  "This badge," the man said, GIVES me the right to go anywhere I want.  You can't stop me."

The old farmer examined the ID card, then grudgingly conceded that he could not stop the stranger, who worked for the USDA. On the back of the ID card were these ominous words:  Whoever shall interfere with the holder of this card while in the performance of his duties will be guilty of a felony.

The federal agent then told the farmer, "You just stay out of my way while I inspect your farm.  This is official Government business."

The agent then walked away.  Instead of inspecting the barns and shed nearby, the agent opened a gate and walked into a beautiful pasture.  There were a few head of cattle grazing in the distance, and the agent began walking toward them.  About this time, the old farmer remembered that his mean bull had just been turned out into the same pasture just the day before.  He started to warn the arrogant agent, but then thought it would be a waste of time.  If the bull was anywhere nearby, the agent would find out soon enough.

Sure enough, just as the federal agent got about halfway about across the field, a large Bramer (Texanese for Brahman) bull appeared, stamped the ground a couple of times, then proceeded to attack the hapless agent.  The farmer, already a little miffed at the agent, could not help but enjoy this pleasant turn of events.

As the man ran across the field, dodging and twisting this way and that to avoid the bull, hollering for help all the while, the old farmer could not resist.  "Hey Stranger," the farmer shouted.  "The bull thinks you are a trespasser.  Just show him your card!"

"What?!" The agent shouted back as he ran around a small mesquite tree.

"Just show him your government ID Card and tell him you have the right to be here.  Maybe he will let you be!"

After offering this helpful advice, the old farmer chuckled and went back to his chores.


This was an entertaining story and I tend to believe it is mostly true.  I mean, Uncle Rodger has told me (mostly) the truth all my life.  And that ain't no bull!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...