Wednesday, August 21, 2013

My Walk With A Hawk

Yesterday after much procrastination and thinking of many OTHER things I could be doing, I finally forced myself to put on my shorts and jogging shoes and head outdoors.  I have to say I would have done it much sooner and with less self-prodding had I known what was in store for me in the great out-of-doors.

Several days ago I measured out a running path, actually two paths, one being a straight half mile, the other a figure eight mile and one tenth around the neighborhood.  On this day I opted for the straight half mile, with the intention to walk to the half-mile mark then RUN the half-mile back.  I honestly intended to run the half-mile back, but as it happened my feet would just not cooperate, conspiring with my legs instead to keep me at a fast walk.

As I began the walk back toward my house, a movement overhead caught my attention. I looked up to see a hawk of some type flying just a couple of hundred feet high and to the east of my path.  I am always impressed by birds of prey and so I began to watch the hawk.  I noticed after a few moments that the hawk, which was gliding on some steady wind tide, appeared to be keeping pace with me.  Whatever stream of air the hawk had found was so strong and steady that the hawk did not flap its wings to stay aloft. 

I decided to slow down (not that I was walking very fast in the first place) and I expected to see the hawk begin to outdistance me.  Instead, the hawk kept at about the same distance from me as before.  So then I decided to walk faster.  Yes, the hawk, with a single flap of its wings, increased its speed just enough to stay in the same relative position to me as it had been when I was walking slower.  This was strange, and sort of pleasing too, in some way.  I mean, one of those beautiful and powerful birds had taken notice of me.  Okay, I do not really know what the hawk was "thinking," but that is what I THOUGHT the hawk was thinking. 

So I continued with the last quarter mile of my walk at my regular (over-the-hill) pace and the hawk continued its flight over me.  When I reached my turn back toward the house, the hawk, as if on some unknown cue, turned away.  With one great push of its wings, the hawk caught another air stream and sailed away to take up patrol over a distant field.  I walked the last hundred yards without the hawk's company.  By the time I reached my front door the hawk was out of sight, but the magic of the moment stayed with me for hours.

I know we are all busy and have many things to do, but it will give you pleasure to occasionally slow down, look around, and enjoy the natural world around you.  Nature, and its creatures, are there to be seen, even in the busiest of cities and at the busiest of times.  The time you "lose" when slowing down to take in the natural beauty of our world will surely be returned ten-fold in pleasure and wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...