Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A (Really Brief) Look At Susan Boyle

Many of you may remember back in April of 2009 that a video shown on YouTube made its way around the virtual world.  This video was of Ms. Boyle's appearance on Britain's Got Talent.  This woman, obviously a "plain" woman of the really down to earth variety, walked on the stage that night and told her dream before an obviously skeptical and cynical crowd.  Ms. Boyle's dream was to be a professional singer and specifically to sing a duet with famed British singer Elaine Paige.  You all recall that when Susan Boyle walked onto the stage, all three judges as well as many people in the audience laughed at her. When Susan told her dream, people laughed all the louder.  One of the judges asked her why she had never sang professionally before.  Susan said, "I suppose it's because I've never been given the chance."  With the judges and audience still snickering, Susan Boyle took her place and begin to sing.  As most of you reading this know, Susan song "I Have A Dream" with such a beautiful, moving voice that by the time she had sang three words the crowd was on their feet and the judges were stunned in disbelief.  I have to admit that I was just as skeptical as the rest.  But by the time the video was over, I was almost in tears myself.  What a stunning, captivating voice this strange little woman from an unknown village blessed us with!

So today I was watching various music videos on YouTube and ran across that first Susan Boyle video.  That particular video has been viewed over 980,000 times.  I was so surprised, and so happy for her.  But did you know that Susan Boyle actually got to perform a duet with her idol, Elaine Paige, and that the video of the duet has been viewed will over 16 MILLION times since December 2009?  Susan Boyle has gone on to become a star Britain, even singing for the Queen during the Jubilee celebrations.  All Susan Boyle did was what many other people have done, and what many more are so afraid to do.  She followed her dream, a Possible Dream, never giving up on it, finally realizing it.  I don't know exactly how long she had held this dream, but it started when she sang in the little choir at a small church in a small village off the beaten path. 

Do you have a dream, a dream that maybe seems so impossible at this point in your life?  Have you given up on that dream?  Many times people will tell you to forget your dream and do what is practical.  Maybe people tell you that you have no talent, no potential, or whatever it is that the naysayers believe you do not have.  Maybe the worst "naysayer" is the one that lives inside your head, the one that tells you "No you CAN'T"  I have to say that I am constantly plagued by this particular naysayer.  When that voice gets loud I sometimes turn to a little book a sweet, dear friend gave me, and I read the thoughts of encouragement there.  And sometimes, when I really want to be moved by the impossible dream, I play once again that first video of Susan Boyle pursuing her dream, literally in the face of people laughing at her.  Whenever you feel a little down, I urge you to visit YouTube and play Susan Boyle's video.  And keep those dreams alive. 

Just a brief look at Susan Boyle, and the great impact she has had around the world, because she believed in her own simple dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...