Tuesday, December 7, 2010

New (To Me) Gizmos Put Bailey Black In "E-Print"

In the process of getting my book, Bailey Black, through the publishing process, I have not only learned that many people like to use Kendle products instead of buying and reading books, but I also learned that there are several other venues for electronic books, such as Literati and Google e-books.  My publisher (PublishAmerica) also offers books in e-book form.  I am just assuming, from a non-computer geek standpoint, that a person simply purchases an e-book and downloads it to his or her computer.  In the interest of those who use these media, Bailey Black will soon be available in the e-format.  I love the computer age.

For me, though, I remain a dinosaur as far as new ways to read.  I like to curl up in a nice easy chair (a borrowed one as I don't own one yet) and read my books.  I much prefer the old fashioned paper books to the electronic ones.  The books lined up on bookshelves give me a homey, comfortable feeling that no e-thing could offer.  Yes, I know, this is old fashioned.  Someone reminded me of all the trees that could be saved if we went to electronic "books" instead of the printed kind.  I know that is true.  Perhaps my connection to books also reflects my desire to keep the foresters and the paper industry (as well as my publisher) in business.  It is a sad fact that "progress" or advancing technology sometimes dooms entire industries.  Many times certain segments of industries fall prey to technological innovation.  So the printing and publishing business is going. 

Actually I will be a very happy person if anyone buys my book in one of its several e-forms.  Royalties are royalties after all.  I can see the advantages offered buy such things as Kendle and Literati.  For instance, many books can be stored on one's reading machine.  When traveling, how much more convenient it would be to have all the books you wanted in a device smaller than a single book.  It hardly takes any space at all in a person's carry on bag.  No doubt as time goes on, the e-readers will become more advanced and offer more features, perhaps eventually merging with I-pads or similar instruments to create fully loaded computers that will be smaller than the one-gig jobs now available. 

Technology is always changing, but one constant remains.  In a crowd of readers, you will always be able to find me.  I am the gray headed guy wearing glasses and reading the only paper book in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...