Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Little Things That Really Matter

During the weekend past, I had the pleasure of visiting my mother.  She had never seen Baby Leah and I did not tell her that my lovely bride and I were accompanied by Baby Leah.  We had invited Mom to lunch, so I brought her out to the car where everyone else was waiting.  I opened the back door to let Mom into the car, and I said, "Look Mom...look what's in the back seat!"  The look on Mom's face was priceless.  She nearly cried, and I knew that Baby Leah immediately had Mom wrapped around her little finger.  Mom held the baby later, when we returned to her home, and the smiles on both faces were priceless.  Baby Leah also met her great-uncle there, and he too was enraptured by this precious little bundle. 

Mom is getting older now, and does not venture as far away from home as she once did.  I think she had, in her heart, despaired of seeing Baby Leah in this lifetime, so I was especially glad that we were able to bring the baby to her.  I am so thankful that Leah's parents, Child B and her karate man, allowed us to take the baby with us for such a long trip.  I know Child B wanted "Grandma" to see Baby Leah as much as we did.  This was especially poignant to me, because while we were on the trip I learned that my sweet cousins had just lost their mother.  I am so sorry for my cousins' loss and I am so happy that we had the opportunity to let Mom visit with Baby Leah for a few hours.

Then today, I had the rare pleasure of dining at lunch with Child A.  I love Child A and Child B so much, and I am so happy that these two kids (well, they're grown now) thought they had cool parents, and now, as my lovely bride and I are both in our fifties, Child A and Child B STILL think they have cool parents.  My previous job was one in which I worked shift work, and thus Child A and I had lunch together at least once per week.  Today Child A himself asked if I would have lunch with him, I am so happy that Child A still wants to have lunch with me. This is one of life's little pleasures that I cannot take for granted. 

The trip from Midland to Waco this past week was one of the most dangerous trips we have ever had.  Before we were fifteen miles from the house we witnessed an accident and in fact were very nearly involved in it.  A drunk driver at six in the morning and an oilfield worker trying to get to work too fast led to a near-death-experience.  And the baby was in the car...she slept through the entire ordeal, including the hour it took to give our statements to the state trooper.  By the time we had reached our destination in Waco, we had avoided a couple of accidents and were trapped in the Interstate 35 traffic jam by another car wreck near Waco. 

My heart goes out to all who lost loved ones or who were themselves injured in car accidents on the road this week.  I am thankful to the Lord that we, my lovely bride and I, were spared from these accidents, and that Baby Leah was not hurt.  I know Child B and Child B-1 were very worried about their child.  We kept them posted of our locale (AND our condition) at all times, and sent photos and videos of the baby.  Life is very precious, turns on a dime, and sometimes ends tragically.  Other times, life ends naturally, but for each one of us, life ends.  We never know when or how, but we know the end will come eventually.  Everyone who is born will one day pass from this life.  What matters is that we live through all the days we have, and love those in our lives while we can.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...