Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Vacation Day Three

The good news is that our great relatives are not TIRED of us yet.  That is always a blessing.  And it was a great day even if the I did not make it back to the beach.

I started the morning with a shower.  I realize this may be TMI, but the reason I wanted to share this is that, while I am very good at packing for vacation, I invariably forget ONE item of great importance.  This trip, however, I forgot TWO items, both of great import.  First, I forgot my guaranteed to grow hair shampoo, and second, I forgot my moisturizing, hydrogenating hair conditioner.  Therefore, for the past two days now, during my shower I have had to borrow my newest niece's two-in-one shampoo and conditioner.  I am so grateful to her for her unselfishness, don't get me wrong; It's just that for two days now, I have smelled like Wacky Melon.  That's right, Wacky Melon!  I have visited several shops and restaurants in the past two days, and I can assure you, I have turned heads with my newly acquired body scent.

So once again, today I ventured out into the world with an aura of Wacky Melon hanging in a vaporous cloud all over me.  I did notice one advantage though; The mosquitoes apparently do not like Wacky Melon.  So today I did not donate even a pint of blood to the mosquito blood bank.  By the way, I did not venture very far into the world during the morning.  My grandnephewson and I spent the morning watching AristoCats and some animated tale starring Tinkerbell and about two hundred other fairies.  I enjoyed the AristoCats as much as ever, but I must admit I paid scant attention to the second feature.  Luckily the lunch bell rang not long after the second movie started, and I was spared much misery I am sure.

After lunch we carpooled with our hosts out to the Garden Ridge Store in Webster.  This particular establishment contains three or four acres of things that no one needs, but apparently many people buy anyway, for the adornment of their homes.  If the husband is not there to clamp the vices on the wallet, the lovely spouse can run through quite a bankroll in just a few minutes, and still buy nothing she really needs.  Luckily my spouse was just "getting ideas" today (mostly).  The other lucky thing is that all Garden Ridge Stores are at least four hundred miles from Midland, in any direction.  This geographical piece de resistance will no doubt save me thousands of dollars!

After escaping the Garden Ridge Store with only one hundred or so dollars in ransom, we made our way to a nearby parochial school where my lovely niece would be playing soccer.  The game started promptly at 5 PM.  I have to say that, though I am not a soccer fan, and do not even really understand its purpose, this particular game was fun to watch.  I am sure it had to do with the fact that my newly acquired niece was playing.  In the end, her team lost by one, but it was a great afternoon.

Leaving the sports field, we proceeded to Mamasita's in Webster.  The food there was okay, but nothing that I would go out of my way to return to for seconds.  But the company made the food that much better.  I will say that the service was very fine, and I complement the wait staff.  After leaving the unremarkable dinner, we stopped at a "Texas stop sign" in Alvin.  Blizzards and ice cream for everyone.  This was possibly a mistake, though, as Cole, the grandnephewson, is now running in circles on the ceiling and bouncing off the walls.  Note to his mother:  we will be sure to stock him up on sugar, chocolate, and caffeine before returning him to you. 

It was not an earthshaking day, just a relaxing, totally unstressful day.  It turns out that the weather changed our plans for the last half of the vacation, so instead of travelling to SeaWorld, we will spend one more day here, then make the long trip back to West Texas, possibly with a stop in West, Texas to be part of the human and apparatus wall that will greet the Westboro "Christians" should they actually show themselves in West.  I believe that I can speak for many Texans when I say that we Texans will show the Westboro people what "Don't Mess With Texas" really means. 

I love my state.  God bless Texas, and God comfort all our friends in West.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Severe Blow to the Pride, Integrity, and Guts of Texas (and some Federal) Police

I have taken some time away from blogging, maybe I even gave up blogging.  But the recent and terrible murders in Uvalde, and the disgracefu...